Frame skip and Resolution issues

okay hardware limitations and why I get a frame drop question.
Any suggestions or troubleshooting methods would be greatly appreciated

I have a new laptop with Windows 10 and set it up for dual display plus my laptop view . One monitor out of the HDMI and another through USB 3.0 HDMI adapter . The content runs fine but whenever I open the Window placement menu to assign monitor display the frame rate drops and begins to skip. I have had problems with this before and think it may be something to do with the specs of the laptop with TD. (I get a pixelation blur in my interface)
Reason I ask this is because with my older laptop running windows 8 I seems to get a clear picture when working in the interface and running the two monitors I have no problem,no frame skipping ,etc…

Maybe the problem is I don’t have something set right in my new laptop that is giving TD issues?

the specs of the new machine are as follows:
windows 10
GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 512 GB PCIe SSD
15.6" Full HD 1920 x 1080
14.96" x 10.91" x 1.14" 7.04 lbs.
Zoned RGB Keyboard
1 x HDMI
3 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB Type-C (Thunderbolt)
2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi

the older machine runs a
windows 8.1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2 GB
Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4700HQ (2.40 GHz)
16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD
15.6" 4K/UHD 3840 x 2160
15.24" x 10.37" x 0.94" 5.29 lbs.
External DVD +/-RW
1 x HDMI
2 x USB 3.0 1 x USB 2.0

Is the USB HDMI just an adapter (like USB C adapter?) or is it one of those devices that fake’s a display over USB?

It can be hard to figure out what can be hard. But you should try to to simplify the setup till it works, and then start building it up piece by piece to see what introduces your issues.

it is a usb 3.0 to hdmi video cable adapter (installed the drivers for it) works fine playing videos. Not really thinking that could be the major issues in that I have the lag problem as soon as I open up my window placement box in my main viewer just on one screen, another words it would do it if i don’t have any monitors hook to the laptop. plus everything runs smooth on the older model.
I have been a few issues with the newer laptop compared to over the older unit and was wondering maybe if it was an driver or card issues that was wasn’t working right together. I get a better picture on the older laptop, seems to run smoother with TD.
I mean spec wise it has a updated bigger card so I’m not sure how to go about running tests.

thanks for the reply Elburz

It could be that adaptor dropping that monitor down to running at 30Hz, or that chipset through the USB post routes its signal back through the CPU and its builtin Intel GPU. This is really all at the mercy of the manufacturer. If you have a way of detecting the signal format I would try that first.(Sometimes monitors, TV, or projectors will display the input signal format if you go digging in the menus)

The reason it might work with one monitor and not 2 is that is is trying to sync them up but they go through different GPU paths or are different refresh rates. Definitely try to update your GPU driver if you haven’t already.