NDI In issues

Has anyone had problems with NDI in? I’m trying to use the NDI in TOPs as part of a switcher and I’m trying to figure out where the inconsistencies(massive) of signal come from. Using MSI gamer laptop with ‘killer networks’ as the ethernet manager. Not working at much at all. Is anyone having great success with say 4-6 NDI ins to switch between?

What kind of problems are you having? Drop outs? Bad quality? Delays?

So far NDI has been quite nice for me. On one machine I had a weird delay using the NDI Scan Converter, over time it started to delay more and more, but it’s an old machine so I’m not too surprised.

Do you see the same issues if you make some test streams on the same machine (so they aren’t traveling through the network)?

Have you tried the NDI Monitor on the receiving machine to see what the quality is then?
It’s in the free NDI tools you can download from Newtek. That should help rule out any eventual netwerk and/or NDI sender issues.

Thanks. It sounds like my laptop’s problems… Basically I’m trying to turn my MSI QT73 laptop, basically a ‘desktop replacement’ with a full nVidia 1080 card, into a 4+ screen switcher, similar to an AnalogWay Ascender or a Barco S3. Especially with a laptop, options for inputs/outputs aren’t huge and NDI seems to be a great answer. The inputs are slow to grab a signal, drop out and in general are inconsistent. And on my machine, if I’m running wifi while sending NDI over copper, the signal blanks out every roughly 10 seconds or so. The NewTek monitor has similar issues, but I did want to check. Sounds like my machine’s ethernet needs revamping. Thanks for the reality check.

To switch instantaniously, you basically want your network to receive 4 streams simultaniously. I did 8 NDI HD streams to TouchDesigner in a show without any issues but was using a dedicated 10Gb network for only these streams.
With windows task manager (ctr-alt-del) you can measure your bandwidth and starting from 1 stream, add more and see when it starts to fail. Try to lower the resolution of the 4 signals to see if that makes a difference, to find the limit of your system.

Just to confirm as well, You don’t have any power saving features or similar enabled for the ethernet or network card?

Hi, as the owner of a MSI-GS30 there is one thing that I learned: Do not use wifi and LAN at the same time. Doesn’t work. If it does only shortly and unreliable. I would like to blame it on the Killer Network (which often also needs to reset) but seen the same with previous Windows machines. On the MSI with killer is a no go.
Cheers
Stefan

Thanks guys. Been pushed into some other work but will get back to this in a week or so. Good to know it CAN work!