gsync or not?

Hi!

Im about to buy a new laptop - this clevo P950HR. with GeForce GTX 1070 and i7-7700HQ.

It doesnt have g-sync though. Do you consider this as a major drawback?

thanks

TouchDesigner is designed to try to render at a constant frame rate, 60 fps, or whatever you have the playbar set to. G-sync won’t help it since that is only useful for systems that are setup to render at variable frame rates. Game engines that can calculate a different sized time step per frame, for example.

Ok thanks. So theres no point really then to buy something with g-sync for use with constant framreate

As far as I know, that’s correct.

final question. instead of gsync it is provided with optimus.

Ive heard also that Optimus doesnt work with VR? Is that correct?

Are there any other downsides with Optimus? I realize this is kind of a new subject but anyhow :slight_smile:

The advantage of Gsync computer is that they WILL NOT HAVE OPTIMUS! The two features are exclusive, so even if you get a maptop with GSYNC and there is no advantage to using that feature with TouchDesigner, you can benefit from knowing you will not have to fight with Optimus issues which are a PITA.

So if you have 2 to choose from, GSYNC or Optimus, I would always get the GSYNC model and actually look for it.

Was recently talking to someone who was actually experiencing huge multi-display issues with a GSYNC laptop until they went into the nVidia driver and turned it off. Not a hard thing to do, but if you see strange behaviour and slow downs for no reason, try turning off the gsync in the nVidia control panel.

My ears are burning, much as I almost did my laptop until I turned off GSync - external display was getting ~2FPS for no good reason except because features.

TL;DR get a config with 'sync then promptly turn it off

Would it be enough to be able to disable Optimus in the BIOS?

Turning off in BIOS is sometimes available, and sometimes it works. But you can’t be sure until you have the computer and try it. Reports from some people say this process it hit or miss, no guarantee with Optimus since all manufacturers of PCs ‘do their own thing’. That’s said, many Optimus laptops work just fine, the best recommendation I can make is look for a seller that has great return policy so anything you try can be exchanged if it doesn’t work for you.