Converting a TOP to a CHOP, reordering every pixel

Hey forum -
I’m trying to send visuals out via the DMX chop & artnet. My light fixture is an led matrix whose addresses are not sequential. So basically I have a table of x&y coordinates that correspond to what my channel data needs to look like. For example, the first sample for channel 1 needs to be the red value of the pixel at 10,10…

I know I can sample particular pixels using the TOP to CHOP buut I have 592 pixels that need to be sampled and rearranged. Is there a way to do this programmatically?

Thanks for the help!

Probably yes, but hard to say what the best method is without seeing that table of addresses. I guess there is some order in them?
For instance there’s a lot you can do with the Shift CHOP and Splice CHOP.

PS how lovely that a LED matrix has non-sequential addressing :open_mouth:

Yes, the order is based on the way it was wired. So there are some sequential parts but it definitely is irregular. i’ve attached an image of the mapping that may help (I also ‘flipped it’ based on its current orientation so it probably looks even less sequential)… I’m going to do the tedious task of moving it into a table soon.

Ok after some reconfiguring, here’s the basic layout of the fixture (it’s 37x16).

So how should I go about converting my TOP to a CHOP with this ordering of the pixels?

Given the nature of the layout - using a series shifts/splices, etc or trying to do it programmatically would probably more of a headache than manually setting up a lookup table - especially if the layout or fixture won’t be changing.

Here’s a quick example mapping out the first universe by CHOPing out the input image and feeding it through a Lookup CHOP with a pixel lookup table created from the universe layout map. Should be easy enough to apply the concept to the rest of the universes…
dmx.toe (5.94 KB)

1 Like