Kinect proximity system

Hi

I need to set up a file so when a person enters a installation space the volume of an audio track will increase as they walk towards a specific point in the room:

eg. when you are standing at X: 3, Z: 2 (from the kinects perspective) the volume of the track will be 100% , the volume falls off from that position radially as the person moves away from that point.

Getting this to work with one coordinate is easy enough, I’m just a bit stuck when you add the 2nd coordinate into the equation.

Thanks

use an audio render chop, it does pretty much what you are looking for

Use an Object chop, and or a geo or a nullcomp’s transform parameter will help you set up the tx ty and tz coordinates into a single position.

Thanks, think I’ve got it:

I’ll use a geo as the reference to define the position of the 100% volume position and defining that as the reference object of a object chop

using another geo with the XYZ from the kinect chop linked to the translate XYZ and defining that as the target object of the same object chop

Then setting the compute to distance and remapping the output with a math chop and linking that value to the volume of the audio device out chop

is that correct?

Sounds good, but also perhaps just look at the audio render chop. It’s pretty much made for this. It is based on the 3D audio used in video games.

derivative.ca/wiki099/index … ender_CHOP

Geo comps are good because they allow you to visualise the space, like in a kinect point cloud or if you have a 3d marker to visualise the audio source. Null comps will work a little faster in the network editor if you have big heavy network. They will act the same inside an object chop or audio render chop