[Resolved] TextTOP looking blurry on big resolutions

Hello,
I was wondering if this was a graphics card or Windows configuration problem.

My fonts somehow appear blurry once I start to render big characters

while showing sharp with Bitmap technique (too heavy for my realtime purpose)

I’m curious to understand why this is happening?
I’d really like to get away from a TextSOP + Render… alternative

Thanks a lot,
Phil

1 Like

When rendering above 30pt size, it uses Polygon rendering. So you are seeing the results of the GPU anti aliasing. What kind of performance difference do you see when using bitmap?

Thanks for your quick answer malcolm,
the difference is huge, almost a second to render 1 digit on my production machine

Just retried on my laptop and it’s now pixelated in Bitmap too

Oh, ya at that size it’ll be hard to do bitmap. It will use a massive amount of GPU memory. How does the polygon look when you are looking at it at native resolution on the final display?

It looks like this
download/file.php?id=6935
I need big numbers (1080px high) for a Scoreboard

a. I tried the 3D way too but it’s 1.8ms for one textfield which seems a lot too.

b. I’m also doing a bank of rendered numbers in PNG format with moviefileinTOP
but it’s not ideal for texts and alignments

What if you turn the display method to Polygon and play with the anti-alias settings?

Hmm that’s weird it looks like the antialiasing has no effect
here is a comparison between 1x and 32x

I came across the same problem, and my solution was to make PNG files for the huge characters in a external image editing software. It was ok for 6 characters, but I imagine that for you probably it won’t do.

Would like to learn a way to solve this problem too.

Ah, I see the issue. The polygon fonts were disabled during the macOS port but never re-enabled for Windows. It was using Texture based fonts instead for those cases. I’ll fix this for the next 10000 series build release. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the fix. Please see this bug report where I previously reported the same Polygon rendering issue as well as a Stroke rendering issue in the Text TOP that seems related: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10889

Thanks for the fix Malcolm :slight_smile: