Text TOP Performance

My current project has two Text TOPs for countdowns, and according to the performance monitor they are the largest part of rendering time at ~5ms per Text TOP.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to bring down that rendering time?

Hey,
How much text are you rendering in those TOPs? Are you running at lower than 60fps? If you delete those TOPs does the FPS increase?

Just the countdown number. Running at 30fps and with the TOPs cooking every frame it goes to 28-29 fps, without it runs at 30fps. The main issue is that I’m playing audio from a moviefilein and it stutters if the TOPs cook every frame.

Managed to resolve the issue by using a null export and selectively cooking on new values, but 5ms seems like a long time to render text.

Can you post an example of how you’re using the text TOP?

In my experience it can be a bit tricky to get it right - using the CHOP value replace is often very helpful.

In other high performance cases I’ve used a cache or Texture 3D to store look up set of textures that can be drive by a chache select, a time machine, or a GLSL TOP.
base_chop_replace_value.tox (638 Bytes)

Good call on the cache, useful trick to keep in mind.

Looks like this is a 088 bug specifically. Either your setup or mine cooks in < 0.4ms in 099 but ~3-5 in 088.

Can confirm I’m seeing this too. Pretty certain this wasn’t happening in older builds of 088. Screenshot is using build 62380, with the main project set to run at 25fps.

Luckily in this case I don’t actually need these to cook every frame, so this is actually a pretty costly way to wire this up and can be changed, but this same network was much faster in older builds

Do you know the build number where is was working?

Not sure of exact build number, but I last opened this project in September