diffusion reaction

How would you achieve this kind of effect?
vimeo.com/176261480

Check here for the theory behind the animation:

vimeo.com/170073061

vimeo.com/170073069

vimeo.com/170073079

Should be enough to get you pushed in the right direction - it was made in Touch, so it’s very achievable.

I saw it. It was made firstly in Ps, after that in Houdini. And I can make it in Ps and H, but in Touch I simply don’t understand how to do it

I recreate a first step in Touch, then I have to achieve a recursion, and this is what stops me

for the recursion, you can use a Feedback TOP. It’s amazing how effective Blur+Edge can be in a feedback loop. :nerd: I have been experimenting with it a lot recently:
[Audio reactive tide pool]
[Fingerprint diffusion feedback landscape]

Feels like I’m too much newbie for it. Can’t figure out how to use Feedback properly for it, sorry.

Here’s a setup in Touch using TOPs.

Besides the basic setup, there’s a couple examples of different inputs as well as an example of how to cut out a section of the growth.
Diffusion.toe (6.33 KB)

1 Like

I was trying to replicate this effect but this file completely blew away how far I managed to come! Really, really cool and helpful! Thanks a lot!
Now to see if I can tweak it towards what I am trying to achieve, get these things to grow within some custom shapes.

Glad it could help. If you want it to grow within a shape, just use the cut out example. Just do it inverted to what I’ve done. Use the black section of the input image to represent the areas where you want the growth to occur.

how do i set a custom image for the reaction diffusion pattern to populate?

You can add a composite in your feedback loop.
Multiplying your reaction diffusion by 1 (where your image is white) will allow growth in this area, while multiplying by 0 (where your image is black) will prevent to diffuse in this area.