Which Windows OS works better for Mac Boot Camp?

Hi, I am about to start my TouchDesigner journey with my MacBook Pro. I am about to get Windows OS to install. Which Windows OS works better for Mac Boot Camp?

Many thanks,
Masa

windows 7 is rock-solid. Recommended.

Windows 7 is a way of life and the most stable. If you plan on using Kinect 2 though youā€™ll need 8 or newer (and you might as well jump to 10 at that point). Although if itā€™s a personal machine and youā€™re just learning on it, Iā€™d go with 10 cause I find windows 10 pretty pleasant to use in general. But as nettoyeur said, Windows 7 is the most rock-solid choice.

Iā€™ve used Kinect 2 with Windows 8 for awhile - everything runs extremely stable and I have had no issues for personal use. I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 for free and have had no problems so far. If you are purchasing, I would honestly consider buying Windows 8 and then upgrading to Windows 10 for free. I purchased a copy of Windows 8 for $20. A new copy of Windows 10 goes for $120 for Home and $200 for Pro - just a thought.

If you are running an professional install w/out Kinect 2 Iā€™d go with Windows 7.

Oooh, nice trick ^ buy Win 8 for cheap and upgrade to 10 for free. Nice!

Thank you very much everyone for the advice.

When you say ā€˜personalā€™ and ā€˜professionalā€™, is it just about how I use the machine?

Yes. Personal use, Windows 10 is nicer to use. Professional, Windows 7 is safer.

If its a laptop (ie Macbook Pro) Iā€™d go with Windows 10 because you donā€™t really see the benefits of Windows 7 (ie. ā€˜Aero-offā€™) on a Geforce/AMD laptop anyways. If you are building a workstation and using Quadros for a high-level installation, then there are valid reasons to stick with Windows 7.
I agree with Elburz, Windows 10 is just so much nicer to use.

The ā€œbuy Windows 8 and free upgrade to 10ā€ is a great way to go and save money, but I think the free upgrade is only available until July 2016, so act soon.

Thank you very much again elburz and ben. I just bought Windows 8 Professionals for my MacBook Pro. I will clean install the machine first now.
Iā€™m very impressed and surprised how helpful and generous TouchDesigner community isā€¦!

Definitely upgrade to 10 asap, theyā€™ve made lots of nice changes!

@prochoy

Hi :slight_smile:

It wasnā€™t clear, are you using the Kinect V2 through bootcamp on a Mac laptop? Im just making sure this is with bootcamp.

Thank you!