GLSL Particle Tutorials

We’ve started a larger series on creating particle systems using GLSL in TouchDesigner. Since it’s a bit of a complex thing to work through, it’s split into several parts, so that you really understand what’s going on. I just pushed up the first part to the GitHub repo, which is a section on how to create the foundation for a GLSL particle system using GLSL MAT and how to move the points around with a Noise TOP. Next section we’ll swap out the noise with velocity and start adding more particle like behaviours. It’s section 12.6 in the book and comes with an example file and everything.

It won’t be on the official download from book.nvoid.com until the whole chapter is finished, so you’ll have to use the link to the GitHub repo below to grab the latest updates:

github.com/nVoid/Introduction-to-touchdesigner

Bumping the above, as I’ve just added part 2 of the tutorial, which is using input geometry and then combining that with the noise from the previous example. Its section 12.6, and section 12.6.3 is the new section with input geometry.

Part 3 coming soon, where we’ll finally make it be more like a particle system, by creating a feedback loop where we can continuously add a velocity vector to our starting particle positions.

Fantastic!!!

Not sure how I missed this, thanks Elburz!

Wow. Exactly what I needed, and very well explained. Thank you so much for this!

No problem, I’ve been lagging on the next part though :blush:

Hey, just discovered this new section, thanks!

Can this same method be used to attach instance geometry to each point rather than point sprites? Or is that missing the…point :blush: :laughing:

enthewhite -

Check Peter Walkers latest Tut:
vimeo.com/230346333

You could use a sampled texture to move / scale / rotate instances with his technique. If you’re dealing with LOTs of instances this might be slightly faster.

oooh, thanks! Exactly what I needed