UI on multiple monitors

2 related questions about multiple monitors,

for now, i’d like to send the exact same renderTOP view in two monitors, so in a way i want to just mirror the render view on my second monitor (but then for debugging i want to be able to get out of that so i can bring up touch again in my main monitor).

in the longrun i’m curious about rendering out 2 separate render views to two different monitors as in the future i’d be interested in using Touch for polarized stereo projection (2 separate, synched camera views) and am curious about how i would do this. from the point of view of the logistics of stereoscopy, i’m currently researching how to do this, and will post back here as i find out more.

For the right monitor, you use the Window Placement dialog as usual. For the left monitor you’d create a control panel and open it as full screen (when opening a control panel you have the option of opening in native size or full screen). You can press ESC to close the full screen controlpanel and get back to normal TouchDesigner.

thanks malcolm, a related question. my needs have changed since that last post, and it looks like i’m now going to split a single hires render out of touch into four 1026x760 images. the reason for this being that my projection surface to throw range ratio is too much for the projectors i have access to (i don’t have the 2grand to shell out for a projector with seriously a convex lens).

so, i’m currently running touch of one of derivative’s shuttles, and it looks from what i can tell here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article229-page1.html that it only supports a single graphics card. this means that i’ll either have to move over to a machine that can handle two graphics cards, or, and here’s my question, can touch synch between multiple computers, so that i can run 2 projectors off one and 2 off another?

There’s a few options. You communicate between different machines using the TouchIn/Out CHOPs, although perfect sync is hard to do (not sure how important that is to you).
Also Matrox has some devices called Matrox DualHead2Go, which allow you to split a single DVI output of a video card into 2. So on a video card with two outputs you can get 4 monitor outs. We’ve used them here with good results.

I think syncing touch on 2 computers is a little ambitious - especially if you want them to be frame locked. I would definitely look at the matrox solution but you are asking for a lot of resolution and with the setup we had going I think you will run out of resources before you get 4 K horizontal.

So the matrox dual head solution is likely the best but 4K is asking a lot if you are running that perlin noise shader. You would likely need to upgrade to an 8800 GTX system and thats still probably asking too much. I would recommend you rethink your projection technique.

J

first off, for those of you reading tyhis who would like to do anything really largescreen in a smallish spac jarrett send me this link to the Omnifocus projection systems which require no edge blending, no alignment, and are in focus everywhere and single projector can fill entire spaces with dynamic imagery: elumenati.com/

i have also discovered that some of the newest breed of 1026x760 projectors are specifically designed with a low throw distance to lard scree size ratio and are capable of covering a 160’’ diagonal screen at about 14’.
the CPX5 XGA from hitachi can just do this for about $750 and for twice that the A100 can do a lot better.