Help with OSC Out for iPad / iPhone

How can i send OSC parameters to my iPad to update fader (TouchOSC) positions from changes in TouchDesigner? All suggestions appreciated.

First I have to say I’m a TD beginner, I don’t know if this will help you. Anyway:
I use UDP Out DAT + an Execute DAT to send OSC messages. (I know there’s also OscOut, which as its name suggests is a way to go, but I still couldn’t figure out how to use it.)

1. Set up the UDP Out DAT with the correct network address of your hardware (iPad) and port of your OSC software (TouchOSC).
  2. In the Execute DAT, use the send -s command, e.g.
send -s f /your/touchosc/1/fader1 /project1/udpout1 0.5

to send a float of 0.5 to some imaginary fader1, so the fader should be set half way up.

In the textport type “help send” and see the OSC examples.
For the TouchOSC addresses and value ranges see hexler.net/pub/touchosc/touchosc-manual-v1-1.pdf as a starting point.

Thanks, but I seem to be missing something. Can I ask you to set up those dat’s and upload the .toe file, so i can do some reverse engineering?

I’m still trying to learn to think in TD’s terms, butt I guess I have a lot to learn.

Thanks a lot for you input.

No problem, I’m also completely new to TD. :slight_smile: [My membership here is a bit older, because I downloaded the software a long time ago, but haven’t had the time to have a closer look until recently]

[edit]external link deleted, see example attached some posts below.[/edit]

Not much in there, just the two operators. I attached short comments to them – you can read them by clicking on the speech bubble in the parameters dialog. Unfortunately, I don’t own an iPad, so can’t give you ‘real’ examples.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help. All I need to figure out now is the right string to access the Ipad. Thanks again.

@effdeeka,
thanks for th e.toe to help. can you please also upload it in a message so that the file stays there for when someone searches for OSC problems in 2 years time? I get a lot of help from searching through the forum and the little example people post that might no make sense on the wiki.

• rod.

@rod: sure, just wasn’t aware of the attachment function.

@milo: Meanwhile, I applied a slight change to the example. (Just send to the UDPOut from the script, and ignore the ‘Script DAT’ slot)
osc_udp_example03.toe (4.09 KB)