Building buttons!

Hey

I am fairly new to derivative but have been working through several tutorials so I am becoming familiar with the basic concepts. Unfortunately I cant find any tutorial on building a button as the project I am doing invovlves a touch sreen version of a Novation launchpad. I know there are buttons in the browser but they are pretty boring and I would like to design a simple button(with a little shading to give it some depth) that would trigger sounds.

Any help would be greatly apprecited or even pointing me towards a tutorial

Cheers

Doug

Hey Doug,

when selecting the basic Button COMP from the OP Create Menu, you will get a very basic button setup which is then easy to extend.

For your purpose you could use a couple Ramp TOPs or images via the Moviein TOP that feed into a Switch TOP and drive the index parameter of the Switch TOP with the channel “state” from the Expression CHOP called “i” in the default Button setup. The “state” channel reflects the states for off, on, off_over, on_over

The Switch TOP would become your new background of the button so in the parameters of the Button COMP go to the page “Panel” and specify the path to your Switch TOP in the Background TOP parameter.

Hope that helps a bit

cheers
Markus

Hey

I’ll give it a go and see how it pans out! if I get stuck i’ll get in touch!

Thanks
Doug

Hey

I have built up to this point and then got a bit lost!

"and drive the index parameter of the Switch TOP with the channel “state” from the Expression CHOP called “i” in the default Button setup. The “state” channel reflects the states for off, on, off_over, on_over

The Switch TOP would become your new background of the button so in the parameters of the Button COMP go to the page “Panel” and specify the path to your Switch TOP in the Background TOP parameter."

I have included my attempt!

Cheers
Doug
Touch button.toe (4.71 KB)

Hey Doug,

I think you are using TouchDesigner build 3715. The latest experimental has a a default button that comes with a couple things inside and I was assuming that you would see that.

So maybe first download the latest experimental build from here (touch077.com/Downloads/Experimental.asp) and then have a look at the file I attached… It’s not a pretty button but gives you an idea on how to use different looks for your buttons depending on their state…

Otherwise there is also an article on the wiki that might be helpfull:

derivative.ca/wiki/index.php … nel_Gadget

cheers
Markus
button2.tox (1.17 KB)