Using Kinect As A Trigger

Hi all,

Big beginner here! I’m trying to do some projection mapping with touch designer that uses the kinect as a trigger for different projections. Basically, when a human is detected, one projection will appear, and when the human is no longer detected, a different projection shows.

How exactly would I use the Kinect as a trigger though? I was thinking of using the depth camera for the image, but I’m not sure if that’s the best choice? Also, how do I get the number values from the Kinect, as I would suspect I’d use those values for the trigger.

Thanks so much in advance :slight_smile: And sorry if this seemed like a simple question, but I would appreciate any info!

If you only need the detection of a player, use a Kinect CHOP and the player index channels you’ll get from it. Use that 0-1 channel to drive a Switch TOP for instance.

See Help->Operator Snippets ->Switch TOP examples to see how you can use a CHOP channel to drive the Switch TOP

Thanks so much for your response! I’m still very new to TD, so I’m still trying to figure out how to use the CHOP to drive the switch, but I wanted to ask - is there any way to use the depth or infrared camera to do this? Maybe somehow using the distance from the camera that the player it? I’ll be putting the kinect in a relatively dark room and I don’t think it’ll be able to detect the player in a room this dark, and regardless I’ve been having trouble doing player detection at all :frowning: I haven’t been able to detect myself with it yet.

Thanks again!

i think there is a motion detect example in the palette which could use any camera including a kinect. i think it uses frame differencing.

I got it to work using the player index channels, thank you! :slight_smile: