facet sop and smoothing in render

hey

I have a fairly complex mesh that i want to render “flat”, no smoothing. I wire it into a facet sop, turn on compute normals, use unique points, and re-compute normals again. it looks fine in my geometry container, and looks the same in my camera view (exactly how i want it).

when i render it, it’s smoothed again. i have a phong material with black for constant. if i crank up the constant, the geo is faceted in the render, but i lose all shading.

???

Are you sure you are rendering the correct SOP? Sounds like the Render flag for the un-faceted geometry is on.

yeah,

i triple checked that first- i’m definitely rendering the correct node- it’s the last in the chain, a facet sop. it’s after a boolean, maybe that has something to do with it? i tried adding a facet sop before the boolean, same results.

here’s the file if you want to take a look.

thanks!
smoothing_help.tox (3.24 KB)

Hey can you lock the SOP that has the mesh so I have all of the geometry?

ok, is this weird or what.

i go into my geo comp, turn off the render flag for the facet sop. go up a level and look at the render- nothing’s there. great. now i go back in to the geo comp, turn on the render flag for the facet sop, go up a level and look at the render- it’s correct. rendered in flat shading, properly.

bug?

here’s the file again
smoothing_help.tox (5.19 KB)

Is the render flag for the Boolean SOP supposed to be on? Seems like thats getting drawn over the Fact SOP’s geometry.

that was it. i guess i’d better be more careful about re-checking stuff. don’t see how i missed it…

thanks!

g

In Touch 17- versions, the render flag could only be on for one SOP at a time. Multiple thingies were handled using the merg SOP. Many times I would like the option to have that be the default behavior, even though there are a zillion reasons to have multiple SOPs rendering. it might save confusion to have the interface default to exclusive rendering of just one SOP but be able to over-ride this for explicitly showing several within one geo container.

what think others about this? am I just having a hangover mindset from the old Touch interface?

Rod.