Array of objects. Place objects by grid

Hello, dear community! I novice and have one big question )
How can I make array of objects (for example lines) with ID’s and place it into grid of points. I made a draw for example, help me optimised it.
Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 15.46.07.png
Now it’s not dynamic array of bars, the amount of bars creates manually one by one. But I want more simple manipulation and flexible behaviour for objects, and automatic generation of array of objects and place it by grid.
Thank you. :slight_smile:
Sorry for my english.
lamp_array.toe (11.8 KB)

I think what you’re looking for is instancing. I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out a way to generate the necessary rotational data to arrange lines the way you have them in you’re example, so in the .toe I’m attaching I just instanced spheres in the same arrangement; this should at least give you a better idea of instancing and the things you can do with it.

I’ll see if I can figure out a way to get the lines arranged in the pattern you have, or hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in.

Matthew Ragan (as usual) has a few fantastic tutorials on instancing, I’d suggest watching those. But the basic idea is that you take a data set, commonly the points of SOP, to make multiple copies of another SOP within a Geo.
circle_instance.toe (5.85 KB)

okay, here’s a better version. shout out to Jean-Francois on the Facebook help group for getting the lines to rotate properly.

we’re still using instancing here, so the template is made of three merged circleSOPs, turned into CHOP data that the Geo uses to place the lines in space. We’re also using a pattern CHOP to generate rotational data, and a noiseTOP to generate the flashing. I’ve also used a phongMAT for the wireframe texture, but you could use a SOP, too.

The circles’ radii reference each other, and you may also want to reference the divisions, so that as you change the size or number of divisions, these changes are expressed in all necessary parts of the network.
circle_line_inst.1.toe (6.1 KB)

Oh, Wow! You are genius! This exactly what i search. Thank you so much! :slight_smile: