MIDI switch

Hi,

I have a switch that I would like to control with midi. I have 4 movie TOPS wired into a switch. I have a constant CHOP connected to a speed CHOP limited to 4 and that channel value exported to my switch index. I want to be able to push button 1 on my controller and have the switch increment to movie one. If I press button 3, i want to increment the index to 3 etc. This is all working if I manually change the constant CHOP I’m just stuck on how to specify the amount/number for my MIDI buttons. I am testing with MIDI currently, but this control might later change to touchscreen buttons. Not sure if the technique would change at that point…

thanks,
quine

Solved, sort of:
constant to math CHOP, math premultiply to 3, MIDI output mapped to constant chan1, switch index mapped to math chan1.

It’s not exactly what I want. I’d rather be able to push one button on midi to switch to 1 movie, another button to switch from there to movie 3 etc as the slider is inaccurate (can overshoot), but will work for now.

Hey Quine, let me introduce you to the Fan CHOP!

When you set the Fan CHOP’s Operation parameter to Fan In, when given an input with a number of channels equal to 0, it will output the index of any channel that is not equal to 0.

So for your case, use a Merge CHOP to gather all the channels that are controlled by midi, then plug that Merge CHOP into the Fan CHOP. Make sure the channels rest at 0 when not selected.

Now if the 2nd channel is non-zero, the result will be 1, when the 8th channel is non-zero, the result will be 7 (remember that indices in CHOPs are 0-based). The Fan CHOP is the perfect CHOP to control a Switch operator’s Index parameter.

4 Likes