moviefileout record -- no audio

I use the default project network that comes up on opening TouchDesigner.

I’m playing one of my own vids in the moviefilein component; I added an audiomovie and referenced the moviefilein for sound. I added a moviefileoutput after out1 at the end and reference the audiomovie component in the Audio CHOP field. I’ve chosen uncompressed PCM 16 as the audio format, MPEG-4 as the codec.

The video makes it out but there is no sound.

I’m using the free/non-commercial version on Mac OS 10.13.6. My audio is handled by an external DAC, Sapphire Pro 24. I can hear the sound track while playing/recording (via an audiodeviceout) but the signal doesn’t make it to the recorded output.

Is this a limitation on the version I’m using or, more likely, my misunderstanding of what’s needed to complete the circuit?

Loving my early experience with this product. Thanks for your help.

…edN

Hi, it sounds like you are doing things correctly and there is no limit on Non-Commercial to keep you from doing this. However I can’t see your file to confirm your settings.

Attached is a file that works recording audio into a movie, I used the same audio codec as you and left the video codec as default. Tested on my mac and works here in build 2018.25750, let me know how the file works for you.
AudioRecordInMovie.1.toe (3.97 KB)

I was noticing issues with this as well. Even using the movie file out operator snippet I was getting issues. One thing I noticed was that when I exported a super short clip (3 seconds) the sound worked fine. If I did longer (10 seconds) the sound had issues. I also noticed some video players would play the sound, while others wouldn’t.

I’m on Windows 10 and the build 2018.41570.

I’ve never tried exporting video and sound before this build so not sure if it’s a bug.

Thanks very much.

Unfortunately, I’m not getting any joy with your network either.

I’ve tried this using the Export widget as well as by hand with the movieout ‘play’ button and the space bar. I’ve transcoded the video from H260 to MPEG-4 and down res’d it to 1280 by 720 just in case.

I’m still not sure I’m doing the correct procedural steps. Nor am I sure there isn’t a setting somewhere in TouchDesigner that I missed for configuration.

If it’s of any use, the snippet from the Help system does not work either.

This is with TD 2018.41570

It smells like something simple and obvious but in retrospect.

Thanks again. …edN

@eenixon, are you getting audio if you try and export a video that is short, say 1 second long?

The short answer is ‘No’ Sorry. Sometimes, there will be a burst of sound when playback is started when I play the output file with QuickTime Player, an instant, then silence.

I’m going down a rabbit hole editing, encoding and transcoding test videos. There are combinations of codec and audio that TouchDesigner doesn’t like. But you know that.

And I’m not knowledgeable enough about the Timeline to know how to record the video without looping. The little toggle button only seems to work in relation to the Timeline length – sensible behaviour. I’m weak on the relationship between Timeline time, video frames, etc., etc.

There seem, for me, to be too many moving parts in the configuration and procedure. It should just play out and be done.

I’ll try anything you can suggest. To be honest, recording reactive audio to video is the only thing I’m interested in doing with TouchDesigner at the moment. Call me a miniaturist.

Thanks again. …edN

Ok. Friday night and the weekend.

I’m at a loss as to what to try. I spent the afternoon looking at various docs and trying various settings. No luck getting the audio attached to the output video.

If anyone has any suggestions about things to try, I’ll gladly take them for a spin. This is pretty key functionality for me with TD so I can find the time to poke around some more if it helps get things working or uncovering the problem.

Thanks for your help. …edN

OK. Couldn’t leave it alone. But it’s fixed…

I mistakenly updated to an experimental build before starting on this experiment. Bad idea.

Now I’m back to 27300 and, at minimum, I’m getting both video and sound.

I have a ways to go to understand various syncing issues, i.e., footage to audio track, audio to play-out, video frames to timeline, video frame rate versus timeline and/or play frame rate.

Maybe I’ll be back; hopefully not so soon. Thanks for your interest; sorry for the churn.

…edN

maybe you can try in your moviefile out chop. the audio chop reference.add your sound chop

2 Likes