Driving touchFluid with Kinect glitch

Hi guys! I’m brand new to TD and have been working at getting my first interactive installation up and running. This involves inputting Kinect 2 CHOP data to the touchFluid shader.

Most of the time this works flawlessly, but keep running into a bug where if a player leaves the scene the Kinect CHOP glitches out and is partailly (one hand of two might still work) unable to restart tracking of the person upon reentering the scene. The CHOP simply displays -nan(ind) at some channels and only starts working again when the op is reset or TD restarted. What is more, the touchFluids component stops working altogether and doesn’t start again even after the Kinect CHOP has started tracking all the limbs again. I have yet to find a way to fix this without restarting TD.

Something strange that I noticed was also the fact that if I saved the project after the bug had occurred, restarting TD would not work anymore either and the project would still be glitched out. Is there any way to diff the .toe files to see what changed?

I would be super grateful, if anyone could give me some insight as to what might be happening here! Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Working .toe: expirebox.com/download/01175c19 … a1128.html
Bugged out .toe: expirebox.com/download/e871fa9a … 61b6f.html
Video of the glitch: drive.google.com/file/d/12xkG3Q … sp=sharing

Sorry your post is long and I’m in a rush, but I watched the video really quickly and it looked like it was reset after your timeline looped the first time. It makes me think the shader is using a time driver like me.time.frame or something instead of something like absTime.frame. Check what is driving the incremental time of the shader and make sure it isn’t looping on itself.

Hi there,

I think it’s because of the ‘NaN’ (not a number) values being created because of the kinect chop connected to a lag chop. Those values are being passed further in your network and end up in the fluid shaders. This will make things very messy in those feedback tops.

If you toggle bypass of the lag chop twice (the little arrow on the left), the nan’s disappear. If you then cut & paste the shader in your network (will reset all feedbacks), it seems to work again.

I had this NaN problem before as well, I think I solved it by inserting a trim CHOP after the kinect, set it to ‘absolute’ and start & end to 0. This will trim 1 frame and will make sure always 1 frame is sent. If I remember correctly this will make sure the lag chop wont create NaN’s.

Cheers,
Tim