Instancing question

Hello forum!

I’m doing a little exercise. i have a reference, and i’m trying to make something similar.

is there a smarter way to create such a structure, then mine?

and another question regarding animation, how can i achieve this kind of motion? a bit choppy rotation

thanks everybody!
tumblr_p6e3n3BwAu1txe8seo1_500.gif
inst.toe (9.37 KB)

1 Like

You don’t have you convert all you CHOPs to DATs first before you use that data for instancing. DATs are slower than CHOPs with numbers (you’ll notice when you have lots more samples), so if you can do it with CHOPs only, why not. I added an example how to to this in TubesCubes/Geo1

Also in the TubesCubes COMP I added an example for that ‘choppy’ rotation to the camera using an LFO and Speed CHOP, you can probably build further on that.

About your question in Instances COMP where those cubes in the middle come from,they were caused by the noise TOP, which generated far more samples than the 63 cubes from box1 SOP. (You can check this by middle clicking on a CHOP and seeing the number of samples it contains). In the end for every row in your final DAT a new instance will be generated in the Geo COMP. If you scroll through the last DAT in your version you’ll see there are much more rows than the 63 you intended. I made an example here as well how to do it in CHOPs only.
inst_v2.toe (7.81 KB)

1 Like

wow! thank you very much! that’s make sense! didnt knew that DATs are slower.

actually, i dont know why i’ve made my instances network so complicated , i think i wanted to manipulate one of the instances parameters with another family of OPs, just for practice.

and just a little question:
let’s say - i want to use TOPtoCHOP and SOPtoCHOP for instances, but i dont know exactly what geometry will be used (SOP box with 3x3x3 divs, or 5x5x5 for example) is it a correct method to use? now i can change box params and still get correct info noise TOP .

thank you!
screenshot_1.png

yes that’s a fine approach - this is one of the strong points of TouchDesigner, using the properties of one node in the parameters of another node.