Is touchDesigner the right tool? Body poses detection

hello everybody,

This is my first post here, I am a total beginner.

My question is to know if TouchDesigner is the right tool for the following project :
My students want to make a game / installation where the player(s) would move in front of a screen and camera (probably a kinect). When they match certain predefined body positions, a music is played.

On the screen are 3D characters that moves and show the body position to be matched.

I was thinking of using MaxMsp/jitter to check the body position (via matching the player silhouette to predefined images maybe ?) and unreal for the 3D part, then I found out about TouchDesigner and thought it might be a better tool for this project ?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated ! In the meantime, I 'll start learning…

Best

Jerome

(we are originally an animation only department, hence my poor knowledge…)

Very possible indeed, and Touch would be a fine tool to use for this. That that point there’s a project made by another user that does some of what you’re describing:

instagram.com/p/BhZOZF8AWxg … jakobpovel

What kind of learning resources do you need to help you and your students get up to speed?

Thank you very much raganmd !

Yes, this project seems very similar to ours.
I’m not exactly sure what kind of learning resources I need, appart from the starting lessons that are on the Derivative website.

I guess this would involve operators that analyse and compare the video/infrared flux with predrawn images ? and considering the user would move inside the frame, operators that can track down those predrawn patterns in the video flux…

Touch is linked with the Open CV library which i reckon is the way to go
much too hard for me but there’s clever stuff in there for pose recognition

last time i tried developing i used the kinect’s skeleton and looked at the angle values of the limbs to get and idea of the pose and then could set up a range of acceptable and then it didnt’ matter if the silhouette and the player were vastly different in size and shape.

Thank you too girBringerOfDoom

The Opencv way is probably also too hard for me too, so I think I’ll go the 3D way, which is much in my range of competences… unless I can find some tools that integrate the cvlibraries in a way accessible to a nearly total beginner.

something like this?
[video]https://www.facebook.com/simone.murtas.simplo/videos/1735070999910839/[/video]