FIXED: Memory leak

Hello,

I made a text projection with a type writer effect.
when running memory usage keeps increasing until it crashes !

I can’t find out what i am doing wrong… or if there is a bug somewhere

see tox attached

thanks
typeWriting.tox (2.85 KB)

Cool effect!
I’d say this ‘memory leak’ is just the amount of vertices in the SOP model increasing exponentially when your effect is adding many detailed characters.

If you go into the Text SOP and set the Level Of Detail parameter to 1, you’ll see the memory stays within normal levels. The default is 8 which is very detailed but not suitable for long texts as yours.

ok. But it is not supposed to store every vertices of each text loop, is it ?

this projection is supposed to run 6h a day so even with minimum details, TD would end up crashing anyway

Besides, when i look at the text SOP information, the number of vertices is actually cleared every text bloc loop

i tried with a Text TOP instead of a Text SOP and it seems ok now.

but i still don’t get why it crashes when using SOPs

Is there a particular reason you’re doing this as a SOP rather than with a Text TOP? It’s a bit of a change in direction but would be faster, and should avoid some of these issues.

hello,

This was the first solution that came into my mind with no particular reason but then i ended up willing to put some vertex movement and effects in it…

This issue made me reconsider the SOP usage and the effects, but i can cope with it :slight_smile:

Still frustrated about what the issue could be though.

thanks

When working with the SOP version, when I have the Level of detail set to 1, my CPU memory usage goes from 850MB (no text) to 1300MB (full text visible), and when the text resets, the memory usage also goes back to 850, my computer does not crash or anything.(using win 2017.38700)
So what does crash exactly on your computer?

here is the example with details set to 8 (default)

Image 1 is the memory state at time t

Image 2 is the memory state at time t + 3 loops

Eventually, memory usage reaches my 16 GB and the computer is running out of free memory.
The OS then freezes every non OS app until some memory is restored. In this example i have to kill TD or it will eventually crash.

The same goes when text details is set to 1, it just takes more time.

Using TD 099 2017.16360 under macOS Sierra

ok, so this seems to be a Mac issue then - I just had your app running for a few hours without issues on my Windows machine.

Looks like this bug is fixed in the 2018.20000 series of builds. Sorry about that, and thanks for your great sample case.