Define renderviewport

Hey all,

coming from an OpenGL programming background, I´m just setting up multiple camera rendering in TD and wondering if there is something, where I can define the render viewport of my target render buffer. Similar to glViewport in OpenGL.

For now I´m using Render Select with the Camera Index and after that a lot of Composition Nodes.
Has anyone experience regarding performance compared to glViewport in OpenGL, when having high resolution, 8k and above ?

Thanks, Patrick

hey patrickfuerst,

Are you looking for something like this?
[url]https://matthewragan.com/2016/12/13/maintaining-perspective-with-multiple-cameras-touchdesigner/[/url]

Hey Matthew,

thanks for the link. It already helped me setting up my project.

I´m wondering if there is a solution to define within the camera component a viewport where it should render to in the render component.

So for example, if I have a render component with 4k resolution and 4 camera components.
Then I want to define that camera 1 is rendering top-left part in the render component, camera 2 top-right part and so on.

I’m aware that I can sticht it together later with renderselect (or use multiple render TOPS) and a composition, but this would also mean processing overhead right ? Or do I get anything wrong here ?

thanks patrick

I’d suggest using Render Selects.
As a Render Select takes almost no extra cooking time, it’s just a pointer to a buffer which is already rendered, you can compare it to a Select TOP.

If you make the Render TOP a quarter of your target (4k) resolution, the end result of 4 cameras stitched together will be your target resolution, and there is no loss in unnecessary pixels processed.

Here’s a quick example using the new Layout TOP from 099 experimental.
Render TOP is 1024x1024 pixels (so each camera is rendering at this output) , the end composition is 2048x2048.
multi_cam_renderselect.tox (2.31 KB)

Layout TOP for the win. I was just thinking about that OP while I was on the train this morning. Nice one Idz!

Hey,

thank you both for your answers and help. I will have a look at the Layout TOP and also will dig deeper on how TD is handling things internally.

patrick