convert sop to instances

Hello I found that instances vs GLSL patch on this forum. well cool
I’m trying to get instances out of an imported FBX or any sop but never working.
I plug a Sop to dat then wire it to the rest of patch but doesn’t work.
I think its because the layout of cells is different in example from what I get out of that Sop to dat.
How can i fix this? so we can plug anything into that patch
Instances_vs_GLSL.mr.1.toe (581 KB)

Any why the GLSL method fails is an other thing I wonder about.

Hi,

the trick is to make sure the layout in the last DAT you feed to the DattoCHOP is exactly the same. As you see in Bunnydata DAT it has only 3 columns for xyz, and no names on the first row.
So I added a Select DAT to mimic this with the sphere. Further I changed the size of the sphere to 0.1 to match the size of the bunny, otherwise the sphere would be too large to come into view.

it fails because this bunny model has 30.571 points, and the chopto TOP (and your graphics card) can only handle textures with a max size of 16384. You see a yellow warning symbol on the chopto1 node with that message.

EDIT: yesterday I forgot to attach the file itself - here it is
Instances_vs_GLSL_v2.toe (581 KB)

Thanks for great explanation. That unblock my slow workflow big time!
I’m surprised by the limitation of graphic card, this also answers my next question.

I wanted to use pointcloud scientific data of a cave for instance but it will never handle that many points. Which type of point cloud data can touch designer read? is there any way of converting formats so we can work it in touch designer? I tried draging and dropping few different formats but it did not work. Perhaps I should load a point cloud in other software and simplify by deleting 1/2 points then export to TD.

few shots of the results.