Video as Texture on a 3d object?

Hi again.

Is it possible to say, have a 3d cube and map a movie as it’s texture? I’m looking around the forum but don’t see much on this.

thanks,
quine

hey quine, that’s easily done. This should get you started: derivative.ca/wiki/index.php … g_Geometry

Here’s a brief example. I used a Mandelbrot Component in place of a movie to keep the file size down, but there are instructions inside for loading in your own movie. Experiment from there, hope this helps!

movietexture.tox (2.61 KB)

sweet. got that working. thanks!
As a final test for this part, i’d like to add a second SOP to the Comp with a different movie texture.) I tried just duplicating the original sphere SOP within the COMP but nothing happened). Then finally add a 3rd movie as a background.
So one 720p background movie with two 3d shapes with movies (each 420p) as their textures floating in front of the background.

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:
quine

cheers Ben. I’ll check that out right now

You’ll want to create different Geometry COMPs for each different texture/material you want on geometry.

As malcom said, you’ll want to copy&paste geo1 to make a new object with a different material on it.

For the next step, placing the 2 geos over a background movie, you should render the scene and then do a simple composite of the 3D rendering over the background movie.

Checkout the “Rendering” article in the Touch Tips section of the wiki to get your render going. Then make a new Movie In TOP with your background movie in it, followed by an Over TOP to composite your render ‘over’ your background movie.

Beginner’s Tip: You can drag a movie from anywhere in Windows into your network and dropping it will automatically add it in a Movie In TOP.

I have two seperate geo comps showing properly. thanks!

I set up a render TOP and a camera COMP. I assigned the cam1 COMP as render1’s Camera. I assigned geo1 COMP as it’s Geometry. (animated arrow connections are attached to cam1 and geo1) Render flags are active. Nothing shows in render TOP aside from black and grey alpha looking background. I tried assigning a light with no results.

Do i need to position the camera or something?

thanks,
quine

scratch that. making some progress with render…

Success.

I’m sure the technique is horrible but it seems to be doing what I need it to do.

Thanks for all the clear instruction. I’m sure I’ll have a ton more questions after I think about next tests but this is really letting me wrap my head around the potential…

Too bad there are no courses here in Montreal. Are any active members out this way?

quine

We have a number of registered members from Montreal, but I’m not aware of any active users right now. My apologies to anyone I’ve overlooked!

Quite a few of us here at Derivative will be at the MUTEK festival this year, so there would be an opportunity to meet up, share ideas, and show you some stuff.

sweet. i’ve gone the past few years but just recently moved here from Banff so still connecting. I need to head down to SAT one of these weeks and introduce myself also.

i also will be coming to toronto every month or so for work meetings. maybe we could co-ordinate something?

quine