Text distortion effect

Hi. I want to make text warping like this

with Displace TOP, but struck on part, where different displace stripes using their own translate shift making stairs effect. Could you help me to solve this, please?
06-20 Text warping 2.toe (4.61 KB)

I think generating you pattern in CHOP is probably easiest. Then CHOP to TOP to create displace map. Before I can suggest how to create pattern I need some clarification. I am finding your “stairs effect” description a little confusing. Do you mean that each displaced stripe is displaced slightly more than the previous? Do you still want every other stripe to be original position?

Maybe easier this way: If you were to use number patterns to represent how much you want each stripe displaced, which of the following is closer to what you want?
[0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3…]
or
[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5…]

More like [0, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5…]. I need an ability of flexible manipulation of shift, which I can’t obtain with Displace TOP (it provides overall displace, not for specific stripes). Thank you.

This is a job for the Timemachine :slight_smile:
derivative.ca/wiki099/index … achine_TOP

cheers
Markus

1 Like

Time Machine is an interesting approach. I was thinking that you just need control over the stripes that you are using in the displacement map. I have done this by creating step-wise ramps in CHOPs and converting to TOP. Here are two example patterns:

If you want to control each stripe manually (or with individual CHOP exports) you could use Constant CHOP channels to represent each stripe’s displacement amount, then use Shuffle CHOP to sequence the constant channels into a single multi-sample channel. Then just follow same CHOP to TOP workflow to make the displacement map.

Another approach could be to do this with geometry instancing with UV offsets for each slice.

I like the instancing idea. An example of how that could work is in the P.4 Image Exampes of the Generative Design pack: derivative.ca/wiki099/index.php? … ive_Design

Best
Markus