Verts vs points

Hi,

Can somebody explain why separate verts and points? They are different data in the SOP, which makes it hard to transfer attributes - btw something which I see as very fundamental and I don’t see an OP to do it, but seems scriptable, so I’ll take a shot at it. But most times, I think, points and vertices do the same thing? At least with geometry, not sure how it goes for splines. If somebody can help me sort this out in my head, it would be great :slight_smile:

Thanks

Points vs verts is a great question - and I can’t say that I have any answers there.

I can share a quick look at the point SOP, however, which will let you assign custom attributes.
base_custom_attributes_099.tox (710 Bytes)

Thanks - that’s well and good, I was asking about transferring from verts or prims to points though. But since most of the action is with points, probably makes sense to stay there as much as possible. Would be great to have that transfer node though :slight_smile:

The difference between and point and vertex is that a point is merely data, it has a position and sometimes other attributes. A vertex is part of a primitive that can be rendered. A vertex will always have a point, which contains its position in space (as well as those other possible attributes the point may have).

You can edit/create custom attributes for each point using the Point SOP.

The Vertex SOP lets you edit/create attributes for vertices, separate from points.

So, to summarize: a corner of a box could have three vertices and one point.
But you could use a Facet SOP to create unique points for each of those 3 vertexes (or consolidate those 3 points to one point again).

2 Likes

Ok, I see, that makes it a bit clearer, thanks.