Audio Input linked to Visual Effect

Hi everybody,

I recently started learning TouchDesigner (love the program), and this forum has been helping a lot.
However, I’m still looking to find a solution for a few things and was wondering if anybody can help out.

What I want to do is to have an image projection mapped on to a physical surface, and with the input of audio waves through Audio Device In, link the sound waves to have an effect on the image. So like laughing voices, or hand claps, footsteps will give an interaction with the image.

Now I have a rendered animation in C4D with SOP Noise to make it deform.

1. How do you link the audio input to the SOP Noise so that when there is sound, the SOP Noise is triggered?
  2. When the audio is linked, how to set a parameter so that the small amount of white noise is not linked to the effect?
  3. Now I’m using just SOP Noise, but any other recommendation how to incorporate light and shadow into animation in TouchDesigner?

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I am super eager to learn!
:slight_smile:

P.S. I attached a visual reference for the vision I am kind of aiming for.

1. Audio Device In CHOP → Analyze CHOP (RMS Mode). Export to Noise SOP Amplitude parameter.

2. If you want to eliminate a noise floor in your your audio feed one trick is to subtract your RMS amplitude by the amplitude of the noise in your audio then clamp your RMS value above 0 with a Limit CHOP. That way you should get a smooth 0 when you have no music playing, as the noise’s contribution to your amplitude has been subtracted away.

3. That’s a very broad question, but for starters (and taking your question very literally,) you can enable shadows in the Light COMP.

I also have a couple tutorials on audioreactive techniques that you might find useful: [url]http://cutmod.com/tutorials[/url]

CutMod thank you so much for your reply!

Since I am a super beginner, I was thinking if there is a way to switch between multiple animation (pre-rendered in C4d), triggered by the audio input depending on the lows-highs/frequency.

Can there be a switch triggered to go back and forth for like 10 videos? depending on the range of the audio input?

yes to all of that but you’ll have to learn the software and techniques first to achieve it, it’s not exactly plug and play you have to learn how things connect and behave together.

derivative.ca/Education/Res … nTeach.asp