Problem with Lag / filter

Im trying to input a sound file and then filter it down so theres much less information using a Lag or Filter node, then using that to controll various parts of the animation.
(I have succesfully done this in Houndini)
but when ever I add a Lag or Filter node the information on the graph completely disapears, and usually just leaves a dotted line, ive zoomed in and out seeing if I was too zoomed in.

Does any one know what I could be doing wrong?

(side question)

I eventually want to have an incoming stream of music coming through and then this to be filtered down like above, do I just use a file stream node instead of a file which I load a music file into?
and how would that work… would it be anything coming through the recording input of the computer…

as you can tell im pretty new to this apart from doing the simple stuff in Houdini where I did this.
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-iFxm5Qapag

any help would much be appreciated!

thanks =)

hey would it be possible for you to post an example?

Il post it tomorrow when I am near the machine im using again, thankss

this is the problem I am getting,
when I put the lag in, it just has one line , and then if i change any parameter it disapears completely, and just leaves the dotted line.

any one know what I am doing wrong?

thankss

looks like you need to disbale timeslice in the Common page of the lag CHOP parameters.

Depends on what you mean with incoming stream. If it’s coming as an input to your soundcard, you would use an Audio In CHOP. For web or file based streams you would use Audio Stream CHOP

ahh thanks, the disabling the timeslice sorted it.

I knew it was somthing silly >_<

and with the audio input, I basically want it to react to a DJ set coming from decks, so Im assuming the best thing to do would be having it come from the recording input into the computer/soundcard?

so Audio input node would be whats needed?

thanks for your replies

yeah, you’d be using audio in CHOP for this.

Have you heard about Andrew Lowell’s “Simultaneous Music, Animation, and Sound with Houdini” book. andrew-lowell-productions.co … urces.html
It’s for Houdini, but all the concepts are eaily transfered to touch. It teaches you a great amount of audio related CHOP techniques, but keep in mind that they are allmost all for “offline processing/analysis”.

There’s also some Houdini audio stuff (which you might be able to transfer to touch) at 3daet.com/cat/28/chops/

Hope this gets you started

just in case you didn’t know, Houdini is touch’s older brother, so concepts are really easily transferable (if you know Houdini a little)

ahh yeah I have just bought that book the other day, I’m just waiting for it to be sent >_>

and thanks for the second link, it looks helpfull il look into it.

yeah this is how I found out about it in the first place, thats why i was wondering why the lag node was playing up.

Thanks again for all your help, its much appreciated