Particles + Wind

Hello all,

I’m working on a project where I need to apply wind to my particles (not like the usual way).

Here is the concept :
Particles are generated in a box.
I put a metaball > force inside the collision box so they stay inside.

Then I have a button that would propulse the particles outside the box (I made the box with rectangles so I can remove the cap when I press the button).
Then I need the particles to fly slowly to the left.

I tried with the wind force in the particles options but it applies inside my box too, so I’m looking for a way to apply wind to a specific place.
The same way a fan would push dust only in front of it.

Thanks !

Flo :slight_smile:

so you want particles to start in a box, then push a button to open box and then wind blows them out of box?
Maybe the wind is only turned when you hit the button, that way you don’t have to worry about wind blowing inside the box when it’s supposed to be closed.

This is exactly what I made… but in this case, the wind also apply to the rest of the particles which are already out…

Isn’t it possible to apply wind only in one area of the project ?
I thought it was possible with the magnet sop, but I can’t make it work like that…

I’m curious too!
a 2nd group of particles?
Is it possible somehow to get the particles that go out of the box switch groups? or I’m fantasizing?
use table with python, position, if position is more than x then switch grup 2, no idea really. Ok back to basic python tutos for me see u in a month! lol

I don’t know if you could switch groups post-simulation, but you can create separate sets of points to begin with. You could use Delete SOP bounding volume (entity: points, operation: delete non/selected) to make separate source geometry for separate particle systems inside/outside the box. Then you can apply your desired force/collision/etc to the particle systems independently.

[video]boxContainedParticles - YouTube

woaw… I would love to see how you did it !

Here is an example with a few buttons, and a look at using Delete SOP to select points based on bounding volume. I made the bounding volume a bit smaller/larger than the collision box for the inside/outside selections respectively just to give a bit of buffer room between particle spawn points and collision object.

[video=480,270]Box Containing Particles - YouTube