Clicking 'new' closes TD and it never re-opens

Hi all,

Sorry for what is probably an extreme n00b question, but here goes…

On one of my computers, I can’t do ‘new’ or ‘open recent’ because when I select either, the app closes and never re-opens.

For example, I open TD and have the default wavy flower. I click File->New, it asks if I want to save or continue. I click ‘continue’. TD closes. Game over.

On another computer, TD closes and re-opens with either a blank page or the desired recently used toe, as expected.

I’ve tried uninstalling TD and re-installing, to no avail. Any ideas on what to try?

This is:
TouchDesigner088.61100.64-Bit
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with all updates as of right now (including ‘anniversary’)
No other apps open other than Chrome
Latest nVidia drivers (368.81 on GTX-680)

Thanks!
Mike

Perhaps there is another forum where this question would be more appropriate? It doesn’t seem like “open recent” or “new” should not work.

Thanks for the report. We’ll take a look, it might be a windows 10 bug we need to fix.

Did a quick test on my machine:

Windows 10
Anniversary Update
64 bit
build 61100
Nvidia 970 M

Also open:
Chrome
Firefox
Slack

File > New
Select - Close and Continue

Closes current Touch network and opens a new blank network.

Yeah, thanks, that’s how it works on my laptop also. I’m wondering why it doesn’t do that on my desktop… Clearly I would not be asking this if things were normal.

I guess this is not the place to get any sort of technical support… I’m far from a ‘computer noob’ and when I ask something, there is really an issue (google me).

I guess I’ll just open the .toe files and deal with that additional pain.

Hi Mike

This is the first time we’ve seen this issue and we have been unable to reproduce it. Would you be able to try a couple of things? The first is to go to the Textport and just type in project.load(“”). This should close the current project and launch a new one. It likely won’t work, since it’ll be a similar command to File->New.

The second thing to try is to open the Textport and switch it to Tscript mode by clicking on the python icon on the top left. Then type in the command ‘viewfile a.toe’ (doesn’t matter that a.toe doesn’t exist). Let us know if this launches a new TouchDesigner for you. It will not close the current session. If viewfile works but project.load doesn’t, it likely mean that windows is passing a bad path for the opened instance of TouchDesigner. If neither works, I’m wondering if it could be a permission/security problem. These 2 test will just help us isolate what the problem might be.

To try and fix the problem, please follow the directions here:
derivative.ca/wiki088/index. … chDesigner
for “Installer can’t remove previous installed TouchDesigner version” and try the Microsoft registry fixes before reinstalling. Make sure you are installing as the administrator. If that still doesn’t work, we’ve had users who were able to fix different launching issues by installing onto a different drive.

Thanks for your patience.
Selina

Hi Selina,

Thank you for the help! Using what you mentioned, I got TD working.

project.load(“”) did NOT re-open TD.

viewfile a.toe DID re-open TD.

Based on your comment, I decided to uninstall and re-try using “run as admin” and now File-New works. I thought that the installer would request the admin perms, but apparently there is something different going-on.

FWIW, I did not manually ‘run as admin’ on either of the other two machines I installed TD on, and those have worked fine since day one.

Anyway, if you want me to collect any logs or anything to help your installer team figure-out what is going-on, I’m happy to help. If not, we can consider this issue ‘worked around’ :smiley:

Mike

Did you reinstall TouchDesigner from an admin account, but you still need to manually start TouchDesigner with Run as Admin? We’ve had problems where people did not install as an administrator, but you shouldn’t need to run as an admin. The computers where you have no issues, are they also running Windows 10?

If Run as Admin is required, it does look like you can adjust your system settings so that TouchDesigner is always Run as Administrator.
tenforums.com/tutorials/3436 … ml#option8
We’ll look into detecting why TouchDesigner fails to reopen.

I did only the reinstall with ‘run as admin’ but after that, I use TD normally (as myself), so it’s the scenario that you’ve see previously.

Thank you, that’s good to know. We’ve added the recommendation for people to install as Admin.