Blob tracking frame rate issue

Hey guys,

Still quite new to Touch Designer, so working through some stuff I have done in other frameworks to get acquainted.

Something common I would do in cinder is use a kinect depth image, threshold the depth on both sides, and use blob tracking to follow hands that break a certain 3D plane.

When I tried to implement this in TD, I ran into some crazy framerate issues. Trying to figure out if it is simply the resolution of the Kinect (I’m using KinectV2) or if there is something wrong with how I have it set up.

The tracking falls to ~2fps when tracking a blob. It sits around 15fps otherwise, which still isn’t really fast enough to do what I would like to do.

Specs is i7 3.6GHZ, GTX 770, 16GB ram

I’ll attach a screenshot of what I’m working with. I turned off background detection with the intention of using the thresholded depth image as a foreground mask, does this make sense? Didn’t seem to improve performance much…

Thanks for some ideas!

Oh! Looks like I just needed to use a different blob tracking method. The one I had initially picked (Mean Shifted Connected Component Alt) is apparently quite taxing on the system.

Works fine with other methods.