colorXplorer

Here’s a weird thing…

I recently fell down a rabbit hole in the form of Johannes Itten’s “The Elements of Color”.

I wanted to create an interactive color “chord” explorer, but found that the results produced from RGB color space wheels didn’t have the same appeal (to me) as the RYB ones in the book.

This lead to reading about the RYB color space, and some experiments with color space conversion…

There are 6 sub-COMPs in here that can be rotated to present theoretically harmonious colors from the generated color wheels.

The attached .tox also has several bits that others might find useful:

radialSampler COMPs contain some quick and easy polar/rect conversion code for GLSL.

triLerpLUT COMP has an implementation of Paul Bourke’s Trilinear Interpolation Algorithm for GLSL. paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/interpolation/

the triLerpLUT component is a simple but surprisingly powerful LUT-tweak and grading Tool, if you feed it things besides color wheels.

LUT presets can be stored to locked null TOPs and easily recalled. Examples included.

If anyone else has had a chance to play around with this stuff I’d be interested in your thoughts and ideas.

edit: added some UI-y things.
colorXplorer.tox (31.1 KB)

1 Like