Mixxa Dec 2014 Mixer and FX Processor

An improved Mixxa with new capabilities is available at Mixxa 2014 on the wiki.

For those who have used it before, Mixxa can be used for simple playback and mixing, but the expanded environment in MixxaDec2014 includes three 9x9 matrixes, one generally used for structured work and presets, one for improvising and experimenting, and one that brings both together, preparing images for your projectors or other outputs.

Mixxa is a personal project so I can’t assure immediate support, but please put your questions and comments here and I’ll answer them as soon as I can. I’ll continue to keep an ear for feedback and do a few more updates over the next few weeks.

Mixxa is very visual and does lots of compositing and processing, so it needs a good graphics card with 1-4 Gb graphics memory and preferably an SSD (solid state disk drive). Mixxa also likes lots of GPU cores (over 192), such as the mobile Geforce 780M that has 1500 cores.

Download Mixxa, add some of your videos into a bin and go through the Mixxa wiki page Mixxa2014 here. A useful quick-startup tutorial made by sunspider - (Ivan DelSol – thanks a lot Ivan!) is here Mixxa Tutorial here.

The main functions of Mixxa are video playback from bins of movies, a central 9x9 matrix of user-defined effects and mixers, 1-3 monitor output assignment, movie audio mixing, control inputs from MIDI, OSC + LFOs, presets, plus session capture and playback, and movie recording.

Mixxa is structured as a matrix of 9x9 cells, each cell outputting video. A column (channel) of cells usually feed video from one cell into the cell below it, similar to an audio mixing board. Click Wire to see it. You can rewire cells any way you want. And each cell can contain any effect from a palette of 30+ effects, so it becomes flexible without going inside a TouchDesigner network. It currently allows for up to 3 independent HD video outs.

A preset in Mixxa is a mapping of all 9x9 cells of effects, their wiring and their controls. A powerful feature is the ability to gradually step from one of your presets toward another, and mix presets.

At any time you can press Esc and see Mixxa’s networks inside, or better, press the F10 or F9 key with your mouse over any panel, and its specific network will pop-up (this is true of TouchDesigner in general).

Mixxa is only one of numerous applications made in TouchDesigner that play movies, make generative imagery, mix and apply effects. I recommend you download and give feedback to the authors of the other video mixing tools as well.

( Mixxa 2014 supercedes MixxaMar2013. )

Did the Combine button/zone disappear by being burst into the Z matrix ?
It was so useful to have that big view available at all times on the right. Now blend buttons are all small and it’s difficult to have them all open all the time.
So I think that Combine zone should be made available again.

Nice improvements with the matrix anyway, it should indeed ease the flows.