Driving LPD8806 based RGB LED Strips with Arduino

Hey,

the attached file let’s you control an LPD8806 based color LED strip with an Arduino.

he equipment I’m using is this:

First you need to download and install the LPD8806 files for your ardunio environment.

Next compile and upload the Arduino Sketch which is docked to the DigitalLED COMP inside the attached file.
The file uses the setting where you connect the LED Strip to the SPI pins on your Arduino board. For the Arduino Mega, use pin 51 for the data cable and pin 52 for the clock.

Once successfully uploaded, go into the DigitalLED COMP and make sure the correct Com Port is selected in the Serial DAT called serial1.
Now click the “Activate” Button and you should be seeing the LED strip driven by the texture which is attached to the first input of the DigitalLED COMP.

The 2 inputs to the COMP work in such a way that the SOP input (second input) is the lookup into the TOP input (first input)
This way you can specify the shape of you LED Pixel Strip and assign the colors very visually. Just make sure that the SOP has as many points as there are LEDs on your strip. (in my case that is 160 rgb LEDs)

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers
Markus
LEDPixels.22.toe (9.05 KB)

Hello there!

Thanks for this post help us to understand how serial to arduino works…

but we are running a project with TD and arduino to play lights on a 16 pixel strip.

This is the model, the chip is WS2812
[url]http://www.adafruit.com/products/1426[/url]

We like to send each color channel for each pixel… so it will be 16 pixel x 3 channel.

The pixel are moving like in the radio of a wheel… so we would like to keep static the animation, or text on the wheel.

The idea that we have now its make a 360x16 image, analyse and get the RGB value for each pixel. Save local variable like R0 , G0, B0, R1, G1… and each variable keep the 360 values for each channel… thats all done…

But i cant send each variable to arduino by serial…

How do i need to write the python code to do it right?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my english :wink: )

Hey,

sorry for the late reply.

You can see in the DigitalLED network that I’m sending all values at ones via the text2 Text DAT. There is a little for loop in there which reads in all the CHOP color values and sends them out.

Hope this helps
Markus