FractGen 3d fractals in 2d

I thought I had fixed the ATI error obviously not… Yeah if you can drop down an info DAT like Malcolm suggested and send the info that would help.

cheers
Keith

So it’s been a while since I’ve thought about this. After reading what you suggested I notice I can’t even get into the network…

3 consecutive times now after letting it load up, I hit escape and TouchDesigner crashes.

I am using TD 88. Hmmm maybe that’s part of the problem…

Strange not sure why your having a problem. It was built in 088. Just tried downloading the posted version though and when I unzip it the .toe is 0kb and has nothing in it. I wonder if there are still some problems with downloading files on the forum?

I’m posting another for you to try. If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll upload another that doesn’t open in perform mode. Other than that I’m not sure I don’t have an ATI card to test with…

I’m sorry it’s not working for you
Keith
FractGen.zip (3.11 MB)

Can you post the dmp files from the crash to the bugs forum?

Hmmmm, not exactly sure where the ‘dmp’ files are located. Is that the ‘Crash Auto Save’ or something else?

I’ll take a look later when I get home later this afternoon. In the meantime if you can instruct me on exactly where to find them that might save me a little time.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

The dump file just gets generated in the project directory with crashautosave.

ah - yeah that was easy :slight_smile:.
.DMP has been uploaded.
What do you open DMP files with? I assume it’s a text document.

And I tried the patch you uploaded specifically for me - same results. Crash.
TouchDesignerCrash088.x64.10780.3.dmp (570 KB)

Hopefully Malcolm can find out what is happening with the dump file. In the meantime here is another version that will open directly to the network view. If it opens it will open with a large blue highlighted info DAT, if the GLSL TOP is checkered please post the contents of the info dat.

thanks
Keith
FractGenNoPerform.zip (3.12 MB)

As it opened it spit out a bunch of errors;

"… load errors:
Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter “autoexportroot (FractalGen/LFOs/LFO1/in1.parm)” (/FractalGen/LFOs/LFO1/in1)

… for beat1.parm
null1.parm
square.parm
switch1.parm
triangle.parm
constant1.parm
function1.par
And so on.

And then a few seconds later “Touch has encountered an error and must close”. Attached is the dmp for that.
TouchDesignerCrash088.x64.10780.2.dmp (566 KB)

Those errors are because you are using a build older than the build the .toe was saved in. There should have been a message warning this when the file was loading up. Was there not?
Doesn’t explain the crash though, looking at that next.

The crash is occurring in the ATI graphics drivers. Can you tell me what driver version and GPU you are using?

Who knows… I’ve had so many driver issues with the 8970/Haswell Enduro combo that I could pull my hair out.

I was going to say the latest as of a month or 2 ago, but looking around… I don’t even have catalyst control center on my computer… which makes me think - maybe the driver isn’t installed, therefore I’m using crappy win7 default drivers…

This is starting to make sense. I’m home on lunch soI’ll try to spend some time getting the driver updated tonight and report back.

Again, thanks for the help.

Sigh… probably a driver issue on my end. AMD catalyst driver version 13.12.

I went through and uninstalled all ATI and Intel drivers and re-installed… I noticed that after ATI completes it says it completed, but with errors - view the log for details.

But the log has no details. Everything is indicated as successful.

Under the part where it is title “Errors” there is nothing.

So I don’t know what the hell is going on but I’m about ready to sell this shit and get a 780M. It’s soooooo irritating.

Who’s the manufacturer? Maybe try to check their website/support to get the machines default driver set, then work from there. I’ve heard Enduro and Optimus can be touchy if you start un-installing and reinstalling the intel drivers, as they’re the main controller. So maybe try to roll back, then only upgrade the ATI driver?

ATI is a bit more strict than NVidia with code - so you will get GLSL crashes more often.

In this case there was a double semicolon “;;” in the line, “vec4 orbitTrap = vec4(1.0);;” in several code DATs that caused the GLSL TOPs to break. When the faulty GLSL TOPs are on (Viewer button activated), Designer Mode crashed. That part might be a bug. Fixing this double semicolon issue clears everything up on my ATI 7970 based system, using driver 13.12.

Everything should work for you as Keith intended, with the caveat that Drop Down menus DO NOT work in the interface. Sliders work fine, you can utilize the “Recall Preset” slider at the top to check out presets.

Hit me up if you still have trouble,

Jeffers
FractGen_fixed.toe (3.06 MB)

Awesome Jeffers! great job! I guess I missed those double semi colons. I’ll have to take a look.

Yeah the drop down lists are bit of a bummer. There was a problem with a build a while ago where they broke and I reported it, which Derivative fixed immediately, but it turned out all of the droplists I’m using I’ve modified and are not set clone so they still have the same problem. I’ll have to go back and fix and replace them all.

I completely forgot that this comp has them also. I’ll try and deal with it tomorrow.

cheers
Keith

I’ve just fixed all the droplists and the syntax errors (double ;;). At least I think I’ve got all the double semi-colons. The new version has replaced the old one here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4673&p=16823#p16823

Everything should work now Jeffers and JuneBuggey

cheers
Keith

Thanks man. I’ve been bummed out around the driver issues I’ve been having so I haven’t bothered to try anything else.

When I get home I will give this new patch a go and report back with my findings.

Thanks again.

Hey Just an update - I fixed my driver issue (via reformatting) and it’s working!! :slight_smile:)

I still don’t know how to use it yet as I just fixed it probably 10 minutes ago - but I’m seeing fractals! Awesome! :slight_smile:

Note - It was my driver. I’m using the original copy from the first post no problem. Tahnks again

Nice one, thanks for sharing!