Transcriber

This may not be the most glamorous TouchDesigner application you will ever see, but it has saved literally days of work.

res1.jpg
It’s a specialized video player. You give it a movie and it makes it easy for you to transcribe into a file the words spoken by the people in the video. No it’s not a voice-to-text tool, but those are often useless if the voices are heavily accented and surrounded by noises.

Transcriber makes it easy by letting you scrub/play and set a cue point, repeat from the cue, back up the cue 1 or 4 seconds per click, move the cue forward, jump and pause. The buttons are hot-keyed and are a good size for use on a touch screen.

It also has a speed slider - it’s remarkable how much faster you work by dropping the speed by 10%, depending on how fast you type versus how fast the people are speaking.

None of this is rocket science, but it show how TouchDesigner can be used to make very usefull applications in very short time. I had a working prototype in 1 hour and this polished tool 2 hours after that. As Markus Heckmann said, “I used TouchDesigner to make special apps in ALL of my university courses to save me time and do more.” TouchDesigner is your staple of productivity.

Greg H, Derivative

Note: This .toe works with TouchDesigner build 6287 (the current Experimental build) or later.
Transcriber.126.toe (147 KB)

Hi Greg,

Was wondering how you got it to scrub to get the video to go in reverse.

Thanks,

Jack

touch is great for all sorts of little applications. I used Touch to make a gizmo for marking assignments using sliders. It was like a mixing desk that was fed from a table so each stuent’s name was shown on their slider. I could easily keep track of whether I was marking fairly by checking whether my curve made sense. of course, the next step would be to read and write to and from a google spreadsheet …

rod.