TDAbleton - TouchDesigner Ableton Connection

Has anyone tried this one a mac yet? for whatever reason TD is not connecting to the test ableton session

It does work on Mac. First thing to try is flipping the Connect parameter on and off on the master tdAbleton Component. If that doesn’t work, please email or post your Ableton log file.

Just wanted to say thanks for building this! I finally got a chance to dive into it today and already I am amazed how well it works and what possibilities this gives. Not only is this perfect for making synchronized live shows, it also works amazing for audiovisual installations by using ableton as the sound engine. Really really impressed by it and for sure we will incorporate this in future projects! Thank you!!

Got it to work. didnt realize I had to install the remote script…helps to RTFM. thanks for this!

Loving It , bit of a game changer!
Still getting my head round customizing the controls … ie deleting a clip
on a clip slot… I assume this is possible?

@puck

Clip features will be much improved in the next version.

Until then, you have the ability to delete a clip using this: derivative.ca/wiki099/index. … .28code.29

The trick will be getting info about the clips, as runRemoteCode is a one-way command, no return data. This will also change in the next version.

hi,

sorry for being not clear.

It seems that any informations in “session mode” like clips seems not manageable for now. Only datas from “arrangement mode” elements are exchanged.

Or I missed something.

@ubboo

Ableton makes information in arrangement mode difficult (and apparently sometimes impossible) to access via the Live Object Model. I am looking at ways to hack this or add M4L devices that can help. I’d be interested to know what sort of information you’re looking for from arrangement mode.

1 Like

This is awesome. Can someone help me out as I am rather still TD Newbie.

Is there any way to get this demo project to work with two different computers running the ableton demo project?

I am working with a partner and we use Ableton Link with both our laptops for performance.

I can get it to work with either computer at a time.

I can also open the project file twice and work with both computers that way.

I would like to be able to access them both from the same project file. Making a copy of the tdAbleton and demo alone doesn’t do it and I am not sure if theres an efficient way to get everything pointing to the correct spot.

I need to better understand what you’re trying to do.

How many Ableton instances are running and how many Touch instances are running? And how are they interconnected?

It is easy to connect two Touch instances to one Ableton instance. Having a Touch instance connect to two Ableton instances is significantly more complicated, but probably doable. I haven’t tried.

Two ableton instances, one touchdesigner instance.

Tricky. I have not tried that. I’ll see if I can figure something out this week.

Very much appreciated. It seems like it should be possible but beyond my scope. But if we end up just having to use two TD instances so be it.

As it is we each have one macbook pro running ableton on it with the remotescript. Then we have one windows microatx with TD to run our video and leds with.

Hi Ivan,

Management of session mode also…

For instance, for each track, if a clip is currently running and which clip is played. Or launching from TD a specific clip in session mode.

The main idea is to be able to make that TD is reacting to live performance in session mode (and not recorded one in - arrangement mode)

Yes lots of clip stuff coming soon for session mode! You can currently see the clip numbers (triggered and playing) in the abletonTrack component.

@visual-lies

Turns out there are some complications making one TD instance look at multiple Ableton instances. I will get to it eventually, but I have a list of other things I need to work on first. For now, you can run two TD instances and share data between them in any of the various ways Touch does that.

Thanks, I figured as much.

I will do what I can with what I have as we all do :smiley: [*]

New Experimental version (1.0.0) of TDAbleton is available! See top post for download.

There are a bunch of new features in this latest version. Documentation is in the “discussion” section of the TDAbleton wiki pages.

New feature highlights:

• TDA_Master Max Device - Allows song name and ID. Set TDAbleton’s network port in Ableton. Connected indicator.
  • MIDI improvements - Allows sending MIDI data to Ableton. Last note pitch and velocity information.
  • Automatically map Ableton parameters
  • Clip information in abletonTrack component
  • Improve tdAbleton master Component - Report duplicate name issues. Listen only mode.
  • Improved, safer Auto Sync
  • Strip OSC address segments from CHOP channel names
  • TDAbletonCompBaseExt features - Request remote data from Ableton
  • Locators are now called Cue Points
1 Like

Experimental version 1.1.0 fixes network problems when running TouchDesigner and Live on different computers. Thanks to Peter Sistrom for catching that one early!

Wow! Sending midi directly to Ableton!
I have been dreaming of this! Especially for bypassing MaxMSP (Glad I didn’t get a chance to to dig to deep into the Osc to Midi conversion yet, means more time to do actual work;)