Fire in TD

So, I’m really impressed by what the new unreal engine can do. I did some experiment and got OSC input working. I learned a lot about graphics etc in general while diving into unreal, but I really miss our sweet SOPs in unreal. So I tried to port some ideas from unreal to TD.
I now got some pretty decent fire going, it’s 4 in the morning and I find it so awesome, that I wanted to share it. It’s not the most clean network and you might have to go into /project1/base1 and push the big button there once to get it going.
It’s basically a particle system that uses a 3d texture to give each particle a little animated texture.
Hope it helps to show off some technique or simply make somebody happy :slight_smile:
cheers!
fireTests_ParticleMultiTex.toe (11.5 KB)

Good example and sharing,
thanks mate.

Really cool man, thanks for posting. Gotta lot to learn!

Happy you like it.
btw. I wanted to go render this with point sprites, but it didn’t work. Is it true that when using point sprites, we can not use a 3dtexture?

Nice, thanks for posting!

Are there any interesting ways to use unreal alongside TD that you have found? I’m guessing with unreal it would be difficult to have whatever .exe it generates work with other programs.

Really nice way of creating procedural fire textures!

You can use point sprites and 3D textures, though it may be necessary to move into a GLSL Mat. I find that instancing pointsprites can work well, you just have to set it up in a bit of an odd way ( for the source geometry SOP in the instanced GEO). I know there are some discussions on it around here but when I have time I’ll try and pull together my most recent instanced/3D textured point sprite stuff.

Very cool!