TOP Audio & SOP Audio

[url]TouchDesigner: TOP Audio & SOP Audio - YouTube

[video]TouchDesigner: TOP Audio & SOP Audio - YouTube

You can use TOPS to edit audio on the GPU. This greatly expands your ability to manipulate Audio, and there are endless options! I suggest tinkering with all of the tops and make some awesome hybrid audio systems. Custom Audio GLSL would be really nice to see too. Remember:

1.Route each channel of audio into its own R G B or A pixel channels.

2.Pixel format (common page of all TOPs) should be 32-floats.

3.Avoid TOPS and parameters that clamp values.

SOPS are also really interesting audio operators, You can get some fat techno tones as effects on your tracks with the rich 3d environment of the SOP.
(video 3:40ish youtube degrades the fat sound a bit)

WARNING: SOPS are processed on the CPU and these activities can be VERY strenuous at some threshold in almost every parameter of every operator. It is advised that you tread carefully:

1.Keep all viewers off by default and never view an Audio SOP’s viewer.

1. Save before every new SOP is added, and before every parameter tweak

2. When recording or jamming, Try not to animate parameters of SOPS, except to toggle on and off ,bypass, switch between etc. there are few parameters that have a little more leeway, but be very careful in your setup and execution.

To use TOPs for Audio : AudioCHOP-ChoptoTop-(YourCustomTOPAUDIOCHAIN)-ToptoChop-LimitSop-ScanChop-Audiochops

Audio with SOPs: AudioChops-LimitSop-(YourCustomSOPAUDIOCHAIN)-ScanChop-Audiochops

-Sounds best in perform mode.
-Keep the final scanCHOP in unison with your initial audio sample rate

1 Like

You might also find this recent video interesting…
youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8TTMTK_cg

For sure very cool! I enjoyed all of the talks I’ve seen.

I’ve assembled some goodies for you all:

1. A relatively straightforward tutorial that covers

GPU Audio:
Conversion,
Channel Mixing,
a Cheesy EQ filter ,
Tempo,
Pitch,
Delay,
Phaser,
“vibrato” (ideas on how to add texture to sound.)

1. An example system using those techniques

3.+ BONUS :I’m pleased to share a Note accurate octave synced spectrum analyzer/note compass with custom tunings and more!

AudioTOPMethods.8.toe (598 KB)

OK so I’ve made a traditional spectrum viewer that you can choose your freq range and length of trail.

I’ve also updated the Note compass. Get the examples of TOP audio above, but get the Note compass here.
Spectrum Viewer.toe (40.6 KB)

I would just save either to your palette if they interest you. The Note compass is good for tunings: musical instruments or singers where the spectrum viewer will apply to any sound.

Bug Report*(I think!!) Switch doesn’t receive export

In Note Compass, youll find switch1 and nullsharpswitch both marked red. When these are in python mode they work, when the green export choice is selected, they fail. BUT if you go in and reorder the input manually, then swap it back while in export mode, the export works.

To observe this behaviour

• go to the custom parameters in Note Compass base and select any sharp note after selecting a non sharp note from the" first note in viewer" parameters: see that it works!

-go inside Note Compass, and change switch1 to Export mode

• go back to custom parameters and try choosing new Nonsharp/sharp, should fail.

• go back into Note compass and manually swap the inputs back and forth once, and it will work from inside the network, but fail again when you are up a level looking at custom parameters.

Another issue:
I’m also having trouble understanding why middle mouse button clicking SpecViewer Base,( or mmb clicking Note Compass while Specviewer is active) is making my fps drop to like 3-5… really slow. I need to restart the toe file for it to wake up, but the behaviour doesn’t come up unless I MMB the basecomps

I can reproduce the switch bug, looking into it. Thanks for the report.

This bug will be fixed in 2018.22580+.

Please let us know if it works for you as 2018.22800 is available now.

Hello,

Yes the switch export bug is now fixed inside the Note Compass, thank you!

I still don’t know why MMB the Spectrum Viewer causes the whole FPS to drop until toe restart. I don’t know if this is a bug, or if the component is just a pig, but since it only happens on MMB it seems like a bug.

SpecViewer.tox (3.42 KB)

Attached is a slightly updated version of the SpecViewer that no longer needs you to set sample rate. It also allows you to flip the direction of flow in the viewer.

Just attach a stereo(2 channel) audio source, MMB the component, and watch the fps drop. If you don’t MMB its good to go.

Thanks!

Wow!!! Very interesting idea!!! :smiley:
It is very funny for me to confirm, every time, that audio is always harder for CPU/GPU to process then images…

Update: scanCHOP was deprecated, so use laserCHOP instead.