Kinect Gesture recognition

Hi Colleagues!

DO you know some relative simple solution to make the Gesture Recognition from Kinect?
For example if user makes a clap with two hands I become a Trigger for some action?

Thank you!

I’ve done it manually using the Kinect CHOP.
Gives x,y,z data for each skeleton point with a range of -1 to 1. So you can track the values for your right hand say, and when it crosses certain values use those as triggers, or could set it up if it moves a certain speed at a certain direction…
Only dabbled with it but once you start setting it up you can polish how you want it to respond.
Does the kinect sdk have some built in gesture detection a la the leap controller? I’ve only ever tried doing it like this - which I can see getting tricky for complex gestures. As long as you’re looking at individual joints though should work consistently for people of different proportions.

For instance this example, set your trigger for when your right hand and left hand’s x/y/(maybe z but not always necessary) values are off by a small value. Even clapping I doubt they’d give matching values, there is usually a slight offset (tiny space between where it detects your hands) so just experiment until you find a comfortable margin of error (too small and it might not detect the claps, too high and it will trigger before your hands touch).
I can make a small .toe showing this if that will help.

yes i am interested in how this would work as well.

The Kinect V2 has a Gesture Builder application that sounds promising. I haven’t tried it yet (and I assume I need to implement something in TD to make use of it still).

Its a little tricky if you have a very specific gestures but you can prescribe motions that are a lot easier to check with basic logic alone. A simple way is to do a logic test to measure a channels velocity within a certain range in exceeding a value (such as a swipe above the head or up & down to the side). Or similarly you can test for relative values for a hand in X & Y to meet those conditions if the shape is simple enough