Make touchdesigner free

Hello there, I have a suggestion;
Why not make touchdesigner full version totally free? as weird as it may sound. (ok ,its almost already anyways with limited resolution)

All this may help in developpement of a quantum version of touch designer working with linux who knows.

Open GL , Open source, long term.
get 1000x more users that could help
make touch designer summits 3x a year in 50 different countries
invest in developpement and teaching.
get touchdesigner to be more than visual software (medical sector, robots in general, agriculture, alimentation…)

Get some sponsors(nvidia?) to support The new Open Source standard as opposed to all Proprietary software that is going against evolution of human knolege all together, specially when it comes to coding.

Take control of the new free world that is going to rise against capitalism very soon.

What makes me think think it’s a great idea?

GLSL in general
and
arte.tv/fr/videos/077346-00 … u-partage/

I hope you speak french.

Just to add to this, another perspective that is popular but not included in the conversation often is the “open core” model. Which is similar to Gitlab, MySQL, and others, where the base software is open source and free, but then most pros/companies/entreprises would be paying for extra features on top that aren’t open sourced and how the developers make money.

For TouchDesigner this could be similar to having the FTE version as open source, which would essentially be the engine and most of the basic building blocks, but then still have the tiers of commercial and pro as proprietary addons.

There is some pushback from open source community lately on open core, but I think it isn’t a bad middle ground for many things that would otherwise be forced to be proprietary.

1 Like

thx for taking the time to answer this question!