Execute DAT - additional method

I chase a lot of nitty gritty start up details… more than I would really care to even think about really.

One good gotcha that I’ve fought with a good bit is execution order and the perils of running a script exactly on start. There are a fair number of processes hidden from us that need to be in place for some elements to correctly start up - which makes total sense.

I’d love another method here that was called at the end of Touch’s internal set-up. That way I know all of the external python libraries are loaded, the tdu module, and any other elements that might otherwise throw errors if one of my extensions gets ahead of the game.

Something like:

onStartSetupComplete() return

Really anything that gets me away from delaying for an arbitrary number of frames would just be the bees knees.

yes, please. this would be much nicer than guessing, checking, adjust delayFrames, rinse, repeat. hopefully not a big lift to implement.

Interesting. Everything should be loaded for the usual onStart callback and during extension init, so that is definitely a bug and shouldn’t even need a new callback.

Can you give specifics? Either toes or error messages?

Oh snap!

Alright, I’ll put together an example for you then.

I’m looking back through our log files for recent project and it’s making me second guess myself a little bit.

Ivan - we’ve talked before about standards of practice, and I think some of this comes down to where we had a slight departure in approach between devs. I don’t know where it goes - in the wiki or on my page - but a best practices / standards guide is probably a big piece of the puzzle.

I’ll add initializing big projects write-up to my stack… because I think part of this puzzle is careful planning and thoughtful debugging.

You speak big truths. Careful planning and standards of practice have been notoriously missing at every development house I’ve ever worked at. It’s like a play without a director… you can do it, but it’s just kinda chaotic and incoherent at times.