099 2017.2300 Opening Windows on Second Monitor

Howdy

I’ve got a main display and a second monitor. When my network editor is on the second monitor and I hit tab to open the Op Create Dialogue the window pops up on the second monitor as a black box. Touch then spins its wheels for a bit and crashes soon after. Something similar happens when I open a Window COMP window on my second monitor (with the network editor on the main display) except the window turns white before the wheel spinnage and crash.

MSI GE62 Apache Pro
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX970M
Build 2017.2300

Thanks!

Hey,

a couple pointers:

• have you recently updated your video card drivers?
  • I usually make a habit out of forcing TouchDesigner to use the discreet video card by adjusting the settings in the NVIDIA controlpanel
  • anything special or unusual how your monitor is connected?

Cheers
Markus

I have the same video card (x2) and this has been happening to me as well. I have SLI turned off and a program specific setting for touch to just use one card. Still happens. Closest I can get is opening a window on my main comp then dragging it over. But if I go borderless, open directly on second monitor, or create an op with the network on the second monitor it crashes immediately.

EDIT: This is happening on both 088 and 099

Drivers are up to date. I’ve adjusted my video card settings in the NVIDIA control panel and am still getting the same issues for both 099 and 088. Monitor is 4k connected with mini dp. I’ve had this same issue on a 1920x1080 monitor connected with HDMI in the past.

Just wondering is this a laptop or desktop. I can’t seem to reproduce so trying to reduce the variables.

Also, do you get any dump (.dmp) files you can send us from the crashes?

Laptop. I am not getting any .dmp files after it crashes.

I’ve been using that same workaround. I’ve done different configurations in the NVIDIA control panel and still no dice.

Still no update on this? How can we get some support around this issue. I have just updated to 099 and the problem persists… :cry:

Hey, so after reading about similar problems I saw someone suggest this multi step work around.

Use window component to “Open as Seperate Window” at custom size on monitor one.
In parameter view of window change to monitor 2.
Then change size to full screen in param window.

I’ve made a button that triggers a script to do this in one click. Hacky but it works. :confused:
go_Fullscreen.tox (2.2 KB)

HI, I have the same problem:

latest version 11520
win 10
gtx 1060
asus rog laptop

TD doesn’t make any dump.
Latest nvidia driver.
Any resolution.

It works with window 0 but crashes with 1.

Please, help!

Thank you.

arm

Have you tried the solution/work around I posted just previous to your comment?

At the beginningI haven’t download it but I tried to make one by myself with your idea and it works. Thank you!
I also downloaded your workaround now and it works too.

I can’t start in perform mode in this way.

I hope they are stable :slight_smile:

Arm
test.3.toe (5.35 KB)

If I save with button on by mistake that version will always crash.
I tried for stability but after 18 times opening the window td crashed as without the workaround.

Any help would be appreciated. This toe actually is playing in a performance and I don’t stay calm.

Let me know what I have to add as information to let help me.
I can tell you also the story from when I was born until now.

Thanks in advance.

arm

This thread seems to have split into 2 separate issues, the first describing OP Create Menu crashes on secondary monitors and then another Perform Mode related issue (ie. go_fullscreen.tox).

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to reproduce OP Create crash. Is it with an empty session or does it happen in one of your files? Please provide examples if it would help make it reproducible.

@Rakasis, Could you reference the other related issue so we can follow up. How does the Perform mode go_fullscreen.tox issue relate to the original OP Create menu bug? Could you be specific with the issue you are having as well if it is not the OP Create menu hanging when using TD on 2nd monitor.

@Armonico, could you explain how “save” is related? If it is not related with the original OP Create menu bug please make another separate post with clear example.

Thanks everyone, trying to sort through what sounds like separate issues.

I was having this issue just trying to use the Window Op on my MSI Dragon GT80 w/ Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M (Windows 10). Any time I would open a separate window on my second monitor it would freeze Touch. The only way I could work out a system to display my output on a second monitor was the workaround I posted.

This topis should follow here:
https://www.derivative.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10697