GTX 1070 odd behavior even within empty files.

Hi All,

Setting up a new laptop and noticing an odd stuttering and pausing of the playback engine, even within blank files. See attached image for an idea of what I’m talking about.

playback stutters.png

5-10 fps drop every 10 - 30 seconds. Wondering if there is anything I need to do within Nvidia preferences to get this to go away? Or is there odd Alienware bloatware thing that might be causing this? Wondering if anyone has seen similar behavior

Computer is an Alienware R3 15
Windows 10
GTX 1070

tested on:
099 2017.2400
099 2017.1900
088 62160

If you place a Monitor DAT, which graphics card do you see connected? If you see an Intel card,
that means you are running on the wrong (onboard)graphics chip, and you’ll need to disable Optimus

Do you have a performance/quiet/energy setting somewhere to select there also what graphics chip to use? Hybrid on-CPU Intel graphics / dedicated Nvidia GTX1070.
Or can you disable Nvidia Optimus in your BIOS?

Seemingly monitors are running on GTX 1070, and Optimus is disabled, computer is setup to run in high performance.

Give this a go if you can:

Attach a second monitor.

In windows display preferences set your second monitor to be your primary display.

Stop touch if it’s running, start again and then move your editor or project window to the attached display.

On my 970M and high resolution laptop display I often seen poor performance until I use a second monitor that’s set to be the primary display. If that does the trick at least you’ll have a lead.

Working with OP, we disabled wifi and Bluetooth and that resolved our stuttering issues. Seems to be holding up for now.

Used LatencyMon to help trace the performance issue, which is a pretty cool tool.

resplendence.com/latencymon