FIXED: 2016.2100 MacOS-Instance texturing not supported

Getting an error saying “instance texturing is not supported in this GPU. Requires NVIDIA Kepler level GPU or newer”. However, same patch runs fine under Windows Bootcamp on the same machine.

Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2014) - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Sorry, I’ll make the error more descriptive. This is a feature that Apple has not yet added support for on macOS. It’s unclear if they plan to add support for it so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Based on my experience with a couple of example networks this afternoon – 2018/12/09 – this is still an unimplemented feature on Mac OS?

I don’t suppose there is a work around of any sort? For example, the multi-texture feature of Phong can’t be coerced somehow to handle this use case?

Thanks for your help. …edN

You can put different textures on instances using the ‘Texture Mode Replace’ instance parameters, but there are limitations to this as the textures a) all have to be the same resolution and b) must be specified in a 2D texture array. This is the only option for using multiple textures on instances for macOS and Windows AMD/Intel as it is a Nvidia GPU only feature.

Hi.
I’m a TD user on macOS and also a beginner. I can’t possibliy understand how do you do what you describe.

I was working on this tutorial by Matthew Regan (Texture Instancing
: THP 494 & 598 | Texture Instancing | TouchDesigner - YouTube) when I got a message telling me I can’t use texture instancing, because I use a Mac.

Even if I think I understand the principle, I can’t find a way to fill this 2D Array with a couple of Text TOPs generated by a replicator.

Then, to use this 2D Array, should I type “tex3d1” in the Constant MAT Color Map field connected to the geometry I use to have my multiple instances?

Can anybody explicitly explain how this is achieved?

I found a really old tutorial video where @raganmd goes over this setup actually.
In this Youtube Playlist go to the video called “Instancing & Rendering Techniques | 3 of 4” and he starts in on using 2D Arrays around 6:00.

There is also an example file provided to you can dive in there to find out as well. For a more advanced version of the texture arrays and filling them with different items, look in the example file at the network /project1/rendering/stack1 for the full rendering setup and the tex1 component for the 2D Array creation.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks a lot for all of these valuable information!
I’ll have a close look.
Cheers.

1 Like

MacOS-Instance texturing now works on mac. TD v. 2022.29850
Tested on macbook pro 16" 2019 & macbook pro retina 2013.
Thank you derivative !!

1 Like

Part of our move to Vulkan in 2022.

1 Like