Build32840: Unexpected Node Duplication in File

Hello,

i’ve got an issue with “Unexpected Node Duplication in File”. I’ve looked through the forum and have found a few mentions of this issue, but it doesn’t provide a clear solution. Unfortunately, after uninstalling and reinstalling TouchDesigner as administrator and even after reinstalling Windows 7 the problem didn’t go away.

Could you please give me some advice?

Yev

A screenshot of my Registry Editor attached.
RegEdit.png

Could you try re-downloading the installer, or try the 32-bit build? Or give the experimental build a try, download it here: derivative.ca/088/Downloads/Experimental.asp
This might help us narrow down the possibilities.

I’ve tried everything you asked me for. But i’m still getting this error everytime i open TouchDesigner. Can the problem be related to my graphics card? I have a Radeon HD 4850 1gb and Catalyst driver 13.1. It’s the latest AMD driver before version 13.5 that i can get working with it.
td.png

The drivers could be a problem and that card is old. But it is complaining abut something in the .toe file it seems. Can you try to open an example from the Shared .tox forum just to see if it will open a different file?

You might want to try some other drivers here:
guru3d.com/files-categories/ … win-7.html

You can sometimes get other versions of drivers working on laptops with this site and they get around the model restrictions.

Just gathering it from this post here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7465&p=28466&hilit=Unexpected+Node+Duplication+in+File#p28466

Can you try running the installer as administrator and did you try to install TouchDesigner on a different Drive then C:?

Thanks
Markus

Thanks Markus!
I didn’t notice that until you pointed it out. After installing TouchDesigner on a drive other than the system, i didn’t get that error.
How important is the installation TouchDesigner on the system drive? Or as for any other program?

Yev

It’s true, installing Touch Designer on other drive that C: solves the problem, BUT:

1. What if the C: drive is the only drive in system?

2. In my case I have SSD drive C: and HDD D:

SSD is much faster than HDD - will Touch Designer work slower just because of this?

I’ve already red all similar topics on forum and nothing else does not work. I’ve noticed that when the problem occurs, in local container is only one row: TOENAME TOUCHD~1.toe. When it’s okay there are four rows: TOUCHVERSION, TOUCHBUILD, TOUCHTIME and TOENAME.

It doesn’t matter if I delete additional, not necessary node called local and rename correct containter “local1” to “local”. The black cross on red background appears then in ui system container.

So, the problem is old and still exist. I think that in my case it’s because I’ve installed new build of 088 without removing old one. Just clicked update. Or I’ve messed something up.

I’ve also noticed that no matter how precisly I had tried to delete all program files and registry entries, after reinstall, Touch Designer remember last settings from preferences. For example “Use Startup File” is unchecked because I’ve changed it when I was looking for solution of /local node duplication problem. During installation there is also text “Rolling back configured windows features” under status bar.

So my question is: how to clean that mess without formating C: drive?

Maybe you should consider to publish something like CleanUp tool? Or possibility to completly clean install? I hope (and I’m sure that i’m not the only one) it will happen some day…

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

can you tell me how to replicate your issue? What did you have to do to get the Node Duplication Error and which TouchDesigner build have you been running?
I tried here installing TouchDesigner on the D drive without first removing the install from C without an issue.
I’m running windows 10.

There are a couple external Folder which are created when running TouchDesigner for the first time or when you change a preference:

The personal Palette file is saved in: C:\Users\MyUsername\Documents\Derivative\Palette
The Preference File is saved in: C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData\Local\Derivative\TouchDesigner099

Apart from these 2 there should be no other remainders on the drive.
If there are leftovers in the install folder after successfully uninstalling (most likely some pycache folders and files), then these will have to be removed by hand.

Otherwise I have had success running CCCleaner to find orphaned Registry keys.

Hope this helps
Best
Markus

Thank you Markus,

At this moment I can tell you that my setup is based on Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz
16GB DDR4
GTX 1070

Before the issue with /local node duplication I used TD 088 Build 62380 64-bit Non-Commercial.
When new update was available I clicked update in top right corner.
Now I’m runnig TD 088 Build 62610 64-bit Non-Commercial.

I thought that I had deleted local node and save project by Create Project Folder with name change.

But now I tried to do that on 62610 installed on fresh Windows 8.1 64 on laptop and I can’t replicate this. So I’m not sure when it precisly happened.

Also tried CCleaner, it has deleted some registry files, but not at all. So I’ve made this manualy searched for “Derivative”, “TouchDesigner”, “TouchPlayer”, “.toe” using windows registry editor.

Also tried to delete all files from hidden ProgramData, AppData and also used windows search to find the rest of the installation.

Also tried to use Microsoft Tool to Install / Uninstall

support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … or-removed

After installation in standard location there was always the same. Extended, dupilicated path and node duplication problem. No startup project with flowers and displace. And unchecked option to Use Startup File which is not default setting.

One thing that I didn’t try is searching for pycache folders and files as you wrote.

I will try to retry every step above on second machine. Maybe I’ll find what caused the problem.

Thanks for your replay,
Mike

Contradicting what’s above in this thread, I can only get v88 to work correctly if installed on C. Test with 626100 and 62380

As per
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7465&p=28466&hilit=Unexpected+Node+Duplication+in+File#p28466