Text issues

Hello,

I have discovered few issues in Text TOP and would like to ask whether it is possible to fix them (or register as RFE).

1. When using Word Wrap, some special characters get divided. For example - (dash). Dash should not divide words, but keep together. There are also other special characters (like for example / forward slash) that should not be divided, but dash is the most important in my opinion. Please see word_wrap.png image for reference.

2. There is a unexpected behavior when both Word Wrap and Auto-Fit if Too Large is turned on and single line of text reaches exactly the size of available space for font rendering. Please see auto_fit1.png, auto_fit2.png, auto_fit3.png for reference (notice differences in font size).

3. Stroke Display Method does not handle nicely higher values in Stroke Width. This is kind of unfortunate since many times it is needed to have bit wider stroke on text. I guess it is tricky to do this correctly, but it would be great if someone could take a look at it. Feel free to take a look at stroke.png for reference. (This is not a bug, rather RFE.)

4. Drop shadow for text would be nice feature to have directly in Text TOP, however it is not crucial. It would make sense in case drop shadow would be calculated by using blur on top of eroded text. In case Stroke Display Method would provide better quality, this could be done using second Text TOP set to Stroke (combined with normal text) to get eroded text which gets blurred afterwards. However, with current stroke method eroding is not really an option since it does not provide sufficient quality. (Drop shadow is also just RFE.)

Thank you very much.

(I am using Windows Build 2018.27550)

word_wrap.PNG

We’ll look into these bugs and note your RFE for drop-shadow.

Thank you very much!

Hey,

I think is depends on the language rules, but in general a regular dash should allow a line break. Most software does this, such as Word. If you want to force a non-break, you should use a non-breaking hyphen, which is unicode 0x2011
fileformat.info/info/unicod … /index.htm

There is however a bug that I’ve now fixed in the next 2019.10000 series that caused this to not break properly.

Hello Malcolm,

thank you very much for looking into it. I see, no problem, using non-breaking hyphen is good solution. But how could I make forward slash also non-breakable? Imagine for example having text with speed in “km/h”. Dividing it into two lines does not look correct.

May I also ask whether is bug with Word Wrap and Auto-Fit if Too Large fixed too?
And please did you by any chance improve quality of Stroke rendering method? Thanks.