path in moviefilein TOP not working

I posted this on the Facebook help page:

For some reason, I’m not able to load up movies in any moviefilein TOPs. I have 099 and 099 experimental installed on my MacBook Pro running 10.13.2.

It used to work fine but not anymore! I now get the following message:
[Warning: Failed to open file…]

The banana file load correctly but I get the same error message whether I try to use my own clips/movies or the default clips/movies that come with TD.

Any idea what could be causing that?

… and added this in a comment:

I think I understand why it’s not working but I’m not sure how to fix it. If I write in the full path of the file in the directory (/Users/fredericboulay/Desktop/Sample Media/Alpha matte sample.png) and it works fine but if I use the built in browser or drop the file into TD, I get the shortened path that doesn’t include the full location (Sample Media/Alpha matte sample.png) and it doesn’t work.

As a test, what happens if you don’t have a space in the directory name. This is a bug of course, just trying to narrow it down.

Yep, the space seemed to have been the culprit! But it’s not the space in the file name but there was a space in the enclosing folder so the actual path was:

/Users/fredericboulay/Desktop/ Sample Media/Alpha matte sample.png

Sample Media/Alpha matte sample.png

but i’d removed that space for clarity’s sake!

So it works with the full path when there is a space but not the shortened version!