nvidia driver 388.13 seems to have impacted performance

seems to not matter what version or build I’m on as far as TD goes, but the newest version performs quite badly in the default .toe as soon as I hit shift+V to open a floating viewer of container1.

hitting the maximize windows button to full screen seems to fix this issue so it seems to only be an issue with floating windows that are not full screen.

Think this driver came out today (oct 30th)
For now I fixed my issues by downgrading back to 388.00 and just restarting my pc.

replicated these findings on two different computers (gtx 970 / gtx 1060)

UPDATE:

Actually I’m not entirely sure how consistent my findings were after all. Interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Bumping this, has anyone else had adverse performance with multiple floating windows open at once?

I tried upgrading back to this version again, and just working in the custom parameters window typing into a field causes my fps to drop to 5.

My work around is use no floating windows and stretch my main TD window across two monitors and split up the workspace but this is nuts.

Is it isolated to that driver? I purposefully didn’t update after reading your first post.

Ahh, well I had to downgrade all the way to 385.69 to get back to what felt like normal performance. I have a gtx 970 btw. Been working solidly for a long time.

This is how it breaks down for me:

• 388.13 (latest as of now, floating viewers stutter horribly and frame rate drags @ 5-15 fps)

• 388.00 (stutters bad, intense slowdowns - performs same as 388.13)

• 387.92 (also bad, but it seems it was slightly better than the above two? can’t confirm this entirely. as performance fluctuates up and down over the course of 1-3 minutes.)

• 385.69 (stable! interacting with elements in floating viewers still drops fps to 30-40 when it does’t dip below 60 at all when in the main window, but this I assume is normal behavior.)

My laptop with 970m is on 382.05. Opened a bunch of viewers and worked in the customize component window and it stays at 60fps. Although I don’t have any external monitor plugged in. I believe I’m on the latest windows 10 creators update.

Interesting, I’ll have to try rolling back that far and see how my experience goes as well. I can try that on my razer laptop with 1 mon as well as my desktop with 3 monitors.

Will update with findings in a while.

Elburz,

Things definitely improved for me rolling back that far, things like the performance monitor now won’t drag down performance to 50ms when I hit analyze.

However the main project window, if opened on a floating viewer still drops low but that may be something else… hard to tell.

Is that with more than just the laptop screen? I haven’t plugged anything into my laptop, so I can try that next week and see.

that’s actually on my desktop with 3 monitors

+1 here

When another window or a dialog is open in Touch (could be an OP viewer or even the OP Create Dialog), i experience some massive fps drops. Then after some times it comes back to normal, then eventually drops again, etc…
Happens with both latest stable and experimental versions. Drivers are up to date.

Config: i7-7700k + GTX 1070